Have you ever called poison control? If so, for what? How many times have you called them?

I called them yesterday. My dd found a bottle of ibuprofen and somehow got the top off and drank some. She is fine, she only got about an ounce and the representative said she would have to drink a lot more than that to be of concern.

I started worrying that I have called too much (3times, none serious) and they would like report me to DHR or something.

Do you know anything about their procedures?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I think I have called twice in 7 years. Once because he may have ingested some desitin and once because he drank shampoo. His excuse, it smelled so good, it must have tasted good too. Both times I was told that he would be fine. I have no idea if they even keep track of who calls or for what or how often.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:39 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I have called twice in 2 years. Actually I haven't called in a year LOL> Seriously, these things happened when she was around 1.

The first is she somehow opened the infant motrin and drank some. It scared me. The second time she somehow opened the baby vicks and ate some. Both times they said she would be fine. I even got a call back the second time to make sure she was ok! :) It was very nice.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:45 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I have called once and that was b/c my son was stung by a bee for the very first time at the pool and then his nose started bleeding so I had to call to see if that was a symptom of being allergic before I rushed to the ER in a bathing suit.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 9:14 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I called once a couple months ago my 2yr old found some medicne my dad had sent my mom from mexico, and i didn't know how many of these pills he ate but they were for migraines, they told me to rush to the hospital, He's fine no problem, but they did call me back to see if he was okay but he made me feel like i was a bad mommy, because of it :(
    CubanFIre

Answer by CubanFIre at 9:30 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Last year my 6 year old daughter(she has an oral fixation connected to her speech delay) ate some of those little round things that come in the box with shoes and in purses. They said there is nothing in them, the risk is choking.

When my 10 year old was 2 my grandma was watching him and he found some old antibiotics. So we called them and they said it was fine.

WHen he was a year old my mother was watching him and he got a blood pressure pill. They took him to the ER(I wasn't home) and he was fine. He'd only licked off the coating. I think they called poison control before taking him.

Now I remember why I'm so picky about who watches my children...
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:04 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I called when my oldest was a little over one. I went into his room one morning and he had gotten the Desitin off the dresser and there was a bunch on his face. (This is why you never put the crib by the dresser when they can stand up!) They told me he was fine and I've never had to call since.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 11:30 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I've only ever called them once and it was a year ago. We had just instaled all the new "energy efficient" bulbs in our house and one broke in the bathroom sink. Turns out they're filled with mercury. I was scared to death my kids would get mercury poisoning from it.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• once. we were at a friends house. her(then) 3 year old son is autistic. she taught him to use a spray bottle to spray water in his mouth. he got ahold of a bottle of CLR and sprayed it in his mouth. we werent sure how much he had. she stood there frozen while dh put the kid in the shower and washed out his mouth and i called poison control. then we took him to get his stomach pumped. turns out he had about 1/4 of the bottle.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 1:05 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I called once because my son pulled his bandaid off his toe and licked the ointment off of it. He was fine, they took my information and told me to call anytime. My son got a hold of massage oil and we went straight to the ER. We did not call poison control first because we were scared. If we would of it would have saved us an ER visit as he was fine, he just had horrible diarrhea the next day.
    simplysmiles13

Answer by simplysmiles13 at 2:53 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• A couple of years ago my sis-in-law called. Her daughter found some mouse poison. They didn't know how much, if any, she had injested. She's fine.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 2:10 AM on Apr. 18, 2009