What would you have done?

So I am work today and we have these really light doors that lead out into the parking lot. There is a little boy, maybe 3 but probably closer to 2, standing near the door on the opposite side of the dining room from his dad. His dad keeps telling him not to go outside, to come back over to him. The kid opens the door, I was close enough to grab the door to keep him from opening it and I told him that we should wait there for Daddy to come get him or he should go and get Daddy. This man proceeds to barrel across the dining room and lay into me about how it isn't my child and I shouldn't have interfered. I didn't touch the child, or get close enough to him for him to touch me even. Was I wrong for trying to keep a child safe? What would you have done?

Mom1Stepmom1

Asked by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:36 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• no. You did the right thing for the child, the father, and your place of employment. Even if dad had a purpose for why he didn't go right up close to his son you would not know that and he should've just smile and said thank you.
    There has been times when I've used my voice rather than my body when asking my children to do something b/c I want them to follow directions but if someone who hears me give my child a direction backs me up I say thank you and am grateful that they cared enough about my child to say/do something.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:08 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I would have done the exact same thing. Chances are if you had let the kid run out, the dad would have laid into you for not stopping his kid from getting hurt. People are freaks.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:41 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• You did the right thing. Maybe he would have rather had the child run out into traffic or a crowd. I have a 2 1/2 year old and I know how impulsive they are and how much they are trying to assert their independance. I'd have thanked you for keeping my son safe, but I'd have tried to keep the incident from even occuring by keeping my son closer to me, after one warning I'd have gone and gotten him if he didn't come back on his own. Anyway this guy was out of line, you kept his child safe when he would have gone out the door. Maybe he was just scared and trying to not show it by being a big blustery "man".
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:45 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• No, absolutely not. If a child's well-being is at stake you have every right to do what you did. He had no right to yell at you, and if he would have been a responsible parent vs. a lazy one and got off his butt to get the child you wouldn't have had to tell the little boy to wait for daddy.

I told a mom once at the gas station to get her rear facing car seat in the back of the car as the airbag could deploy and kill her baby... She got mad at me, started yelling... I wasn't trying to be bossy but I got a bad feeling seeing that baby there. as calmly as I could I told her "it's nevada law ma'am". She moved it apparently her baby's safety wasn't as important as getting a ticket. sad.

I'm far from being a perfect parent but some people just don't think or don't care. WE all make mistakes, but this dad (and that mom) just are too self absorbed to even care about their children and the kids are the ones who suffer.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 2:45 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I was to flabbergasted to even reply because had the tables been turned I would have thanked someone for helping keep my child safe. Everyone at work just stared because they didn't know what to do. Half of us have kids and all of the parents later told me that they would have hoped that someone would step in if they every found themselves in that situation.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 2:49 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• no you were completely right.. you should have laid into him about raising his child.. there is no reason a kid that young should be left alone.. or left that far away from the parent next to a exit.. i mean if someone really wanted to they could have grabbed him and took off... your right.. hopefully he tells his wife about it and gets bitched at by her
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 3:04 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• HELL NO you weren't wrong!! You kept a child safe!! The dad was probably just upset that a stranger had to step in and help him with his child. Maybe if he got off his butt and actually went over to the child you wouldn't have had to step in. NEVER feel bad about protecting a child, no matter what the parent thinks.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 4:00 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• You were right, the father was wrong. Good for you!
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 8:26 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• He was probably embarassed that his laziness was noticed by everyone when you had to step in. You were not wrong. If you hadn't stepped in, then he would have yelled at you for not stopping his son, so really, you couldn't win with that guy. Just feel good knowing you protected a child, even if his idiot father couldn't appreciate it.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:28 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I would have done the same thing. But as a parent I would have gotten up and taken my child away from the door and held him. My kids are never more than an arms reach from me.
    paula405

Answer by paula405 at 8:50 AM on Apr. 4, 2009