sleep problem

i have insomnia and i breastfeed so i don't want to take any mdication. i hate it b/c i try to sleep when my daughter does but all i do is lay awake for hours.then she wakes up and i feel horrible b/c i'm so tired it's ard to deal with her. it seems i never fall asleep until around 4 or 6 in the morning, she wakes back up at around 6-8. i never get sleep and it's hard for me to getmy b/f to help, he's never up..they used to have me on siriquil (sp) for it but now i don't know what to do. any suggestions for a sleep deprived mommy?

Kitty0907

Asked by Kitty0907 at 3:08 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My doc told me advil pm is safe to take while breastfeeding. It works wonders! (obviously I didn't take it last night or I wouldn't be awake now... *stupid stupid stupid!* :D If you don't feel comfortable with advil pm you can try chamomile.. very relaxing. Try a chamomile bath and some tea.. milk is supposed to have the same sleepy hormone as turkey... hmm trying to think of anything else.. nothing else now. GL!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 3:14 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I don't breastfeed, and I have severe insomnia. Nyquill, Tylenol PM, or Benadryl makes me worse. Nothing natural works for me. I don't feel comfortable with taking prescription sleep aid unless someone dependable (not the boyfriend!) is able to wake up for my son if he wakes up throughout the night. It sucks. My best advice is to not stress and trust that you will eventually get some sleep. Talk to your doctor about trying valerian roots and melantonin, or rozerem (this is a prescription, but it works the same way as melantonin. It works on th internal clock.) None of those work for me, but that does not mean it won't work for you. You could always pump and have someone feed your baby at nighttime if you need to take prescription sleep aid? I know Ambien and Lunesta leaves your system rapidly. You should be talking to your doctor about this. Being a mom is stressful, and the extreme lack of sleep really does mess you up.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 3:23 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• severe insomnia,is what they gave me and put me on siriquil. i hated it.i didn't like the way it made me feel when i woke up. idk, i haveto do something, t's bace and i never sleep. really, i don't have much help either.....
    Kitty0907

Answer by Kitty0907 at 3:31 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I would ask your doctor if there is something you can take that would be safe for breastfeeding.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:30 AM on Apr. 4, 2009