My baby cries every time I walk away. Please help me. What am i doing wrong?

I am a third time mom of a 7 month old baby girl. I can't get anything done without her in my arms. Every time I walk away she has a fit and screams until i pick her up. Please help! I would love some advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:56 PM on Jul. 31, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• HonestlyI would put her in a play pin or her crib, because you can't do what you have to do with a child in your arms all the time. At 7 months I know you can't do but so much as far as talking with her, she will not understand. I know how you feel, I think my son is sleeping, I go walk out to check the mail, or take a bath he start crying (faking sleep on me) but I have to do what I have to do, otherwise I would not get anything done. I put on a nursery cd for him, and  he usually stay quiet with that on.  I don't have anybody else to help me, so when I am cleaning, etc...the nursery cd is my friend.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Aug. 1, 2008

• When you put her down, just keep talking to her. Tell her what you are doing, where you are going, that you will be right back. Right now, she thinks you are GONE when you aren't right there. You need to teach her that you still exist when she can't see you.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:17 AM on Aug. 1, 2008

• Dear, I'm indian. We tie our babies up to our backs or our front and keep it moving. Women all around the world do this!! Your child is communicating with you, when she is crying. She is telling you that she wants to be with you. NO baby can become spoiled, it is not possible. My children are older now, I WISH for days gone by, don't let these precious moments pass you!! Take your baby in your arms and keep her there, before you know it, she will be as tall as you are. If you need help tying her up to you, I can teach you, just send me a message. You don't need special equipment, a long cloth will do, such as a sheet. Another advantage to this is you will lose some weight while carrying her!
    ananda2008

Answer by ananda2008 at 12:18 AM on Aug. 1, 2008

• my daughter is the same way so i either carry her or i put her somewhere see can see me.
    hopenalivia

Answer by hopenalivia at 12:46 AM on Aug. 1, 2008

• I was lucky not to have this problem, but my mother in law said that her 3rd son had bad colic when he was a baby and for the first 8 months she could NOT put him down without him SCREAMING. What finally did the trick for her, was baby massage actually. In the end she figured he may have had pain in his back, because after she rubbed that baby down once and flipped him on his tummy rubbing his back really good, he stopped having to be held all the time and was more comfortable on his own.
    Hannah-Belle

Answer by Hannah-Belle at 1:16 AM on Aug. 1, 2008

• You're not doing anything wrong. In fact, it sounds to me like you're doing everything right. Around 6-8 months babies go threw separation anxiety. My son is 7 months and doing the same thing. i can't leave the room with out him. It's driving me crazy but I have read that it will pass.
    Sammieanne

Answer by Sammieanne at 8:10 AM on Aug. 1, 2008

• Two words ...separation anxiety...it's a phase, it will pass. you are doing NOTHING wrong. Just let her cry for a few minutes and then go sit down and PLAY with her (do NOT pick her up!). Letting her cry for a few minutes and then coming back to play with her will assure her that you DO know she is crying and that you hear her. Playing will help distract her and soon enough you can just sit her on the floor with some toys or the Noggin channel (which always works for me) and do some house cleaning or spend some "mommy time" for a couple hours.

Just DO NOT pick her up until she has stopped crying or settled down a bit. She has to learn how to self soothe properly. Picking her up and then putting her down repeatedly will confuse her.
    AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 8:31 AM on Aug. 1, 2008

• P.S. in response to ananda2008's advice...it is EXTREMELY unsafe to clean and keep your infant tied to you at the same time. Please do NOT do that. And, besides, to keep healthy happy babies we have to be healthy, HAPPY moms and that means taking some time (even if it's just for 10 or 15 minutes) for yourself without the baby on your hip.
    AvasMommy810

Answer by AvasMommy810 at 8:35 AM on Aug. 1, 2008

• I would listen to Ananda....I have a sling and I take it everywhere. If my son needs me I put him in it....its nicer for him and i can get on with housework.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 8:51 AM on Aug. 1, 2008

• the sling is great for getting certain things done...DS is 8 months and doing the same thing...
    i cant cook or prep most food like this but i can get other stuff done....vacuum and what not...
    and he loves it....
    depending on the kind of cleaning products you use...most of my cleaning is done with soapy water, water and vinegar or baking soda and a wet rag...not much there to hurt the little guy....Lysol is a different story!
    afeather

Answer by afeather at 3:06 PM on Aug. 3, 2008