What are some must haves for toddlers/preschoolers?

My daughter is almost 2 1/2 and I was just curious if anyone has anything that they just LOVE and could not live without it (well...ya know what I mean!). Are there any books, parenting books, toys, items of any sort that just seemed to help you or your children?

Thanks!!

baboluchi56

Asked by baboluchi56 at 3:35 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• book-hello lulu, caroline uff
    book-rumble in the jungle

always have paper/construction paper, glue sticks, markers, crayons, scissors in her reach so that she can have access to them whenever she wants. if you put these things away where she can't see them, she won't want it.

have read both of these books to my boys. one is 9 and the younger 4. they each loved both books and i read them over and over again! i still use the original i bought for my older son...

ericadrian

Answer by ericadrian at 5:04 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Arts and Crafts supplies! Construction paper, markers, crayons, paint, scissors, glue, stickers, coloring books.

We alternate between at outdoor activity and arts and crafts. Sometimes we combine the two... We found large rocks and painted them. We found pinecones and made "pinecone pets" glued on eyes and nose and mouth. In the fall we will collect leaves then rub crayons over paper or I'll trace it on a piece of paper and we paint/color it. Last Thanksgiving, we took the leaves to make little turkeys.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 10:19 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Well although I think the other two posters are GREAT, I thought you meant like within the next year, and I think three might be a little young for scissors, at least in their reach. My son will be three in May, and we always have something either Dora, or Diego, to take with us, or play with at home. These two shows have helped my son learn Spanish, count, and ABC's on his own!!! I wanted to see if they would actually teach him, so I sit down with him and watch these, and repeat and listen, to everything on the show. My son recites shows daily, even if he hasn't seen them in weeks. He loves it!!!
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 10:47 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Both my kids (4 & 2) love the MR Men and Little Miss books by Roger Hargreaves. Its an older series of books....from the 1980's......but there are around 30 books and my kids just go nuts for them. We've slowly been requesting all of them from the library.

Other things they love......PlayDoh... side walk chalk..............Word Whammer.........we've been saving 2 liter bottles to use as bowling pins.....they "bowl" on our kitchen floor..........Once in a while when I have to clean the floor anyhow I take out the mixing bowls and measuring cups and let them play on the floor with a bag of marshmallows and some cereal...they pretend to mix it up and make things..............
    l-momoftwo

Answer by l-momoftwo at 6:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• i always had a "restaurant survival kit' we kept in the car. it was a pencil pouch that had age appropriate stuff, pencils, fat markers, skinny markers, colored pencils (change it up sometimes), glue sticks, scissors (with a round top), paper or a small notebook.

books are the best toys, ever. get a library card, and go often. most libraries have preschool story times. they're free! good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 7:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Sidewalk chalk, markers, crayons and paper, ride on toys, dolls and/or action figures. Honestly, most of the other toys we get as gifts remain unopened or they never touch! My kids probably play with only 10% of what they have.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:37 PM on Apr. 6, 2009