Black people?

I have a question, based mostly out of curiosity. I am a VERY open minded white person (and damn proud of it!!) and even I feel that the term "African American" is stupid. I mean what would you call someone with dark skin who lives in England? I personally have no problems being called white - especially during the winter when I practically glow in the dark. Caucasian doesn't bother me much either. My question is more like a survey to the black women on here. What do YOU prefer to call your race?

Lilbeamercomin

Asked by Lilbeamercomin at 3:51 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• blacks come in all nationalities and shades. it doesn't bother me being called black. African-American i don't understand because although we are of African descent most of us have no knowledge on who the real Africans were/are in our families. Most Mexicans, Irish, Jamaicans... whatever can trace their roots back to their title.
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 4:33 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Hehe.. Being Canadian I wonder this, too..
    Here black people are black.. We're not American, so saying "African American" is kinda silly..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 4:33 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I guess technically we all originated in Africa, if you believe in Evolution. So we all should have the word African in front of our nationality.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:27 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Anon - I like that. Very good point. I *personally* do not believe in evolution, but I can appreciate your logic. I guess in some ways I feel that the term "African American" is incredibly ignorant since not all black people are "from" Africa. It's like calling white people "English American." What about dark skinned Dominicans and Jamacians?
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 6:05 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• This question reminds me of a girl I went to college with whose mother was upset when she was filling out some government form, because she put "african american" down for ethnicity and they made her change it. She was a Dutch woman, born and raised in South Africa, but the authorities wouldn't let her claim that because she was "white". Kinda pissed her off.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 6:17 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Good point pyler! White skin people are born and raised in Africa also.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 8:34 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• It's just American Political Correctness gone awry...we're at the point where people are "afraid" to describe a black person as "black."  Its as if it has become a derogatory word.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:40 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• The media has failed to alert us as to what to call people in the African American community this year, as it changes periodically.
    If you have neglected to inform yourself once a year by asking someone, even if you are never around someone who might know to ask, it is to your benefit to travel to the city or the Deep South to dig for the answer to the question, as you don't want to be charchterized as "not with it" or "unsophisticated" for not knowing. You should be informed from the beginning that nothing you come up will be correct, even if you have broached the subject with a cashier at McDonalds or Randy Jackson from American Idol. You are completely, unequivocally screwed!
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 9:16 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I think it is silly too, unless they were born in Africa.

xtina34

Answer by xtina34 at 9:22 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• black or African American.
    bxbsmommy

Answer by bxbsmommy at 9:48 AM on Apr. 4, 2009