Would you think its rude to speak another language infront of someone who didnt?

I was invited to a party for my friends birthday and was pretty upset that after everyone arrived they all started speaking German, laughing joking and having a good old time.. I dont understand the language and felt very excluded. The thing is that I know everyone there could speak english, would you think it was rude of them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:22 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Just as rude as whispering in front of people.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:56 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Yes it is rude!! MY husband and SIL do this all the time to me. We all speak English but only he and his sister speak Spanish. When they do this it feels like they are talking about me or saying things they don't want me to hear.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:24 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Definitely! They can all speak english so why not include you in the conversation especially as they were the ones who had invited you!
    HNK11

Answer by HNK11 at 5:56 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Yes it is very rude, sorry that happened!

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 6:07 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• No. I don't think it is rude. Sometimes a group of people are more comfortable speaking their own language. Sure, I speak english. And a little spanish. I'm about to go to Puerto Rico. Will it be rude of me to converse in english in Puerto Rico? Not really, because I am more comfortable speaking my native language. Often times one can get their point across better when speaking their native language.

The other half of my family speaks spanish primarily. I don't find it rude at all! I just ask them every other sentence what they said lol
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 6:38 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• depends. I lived in Germany for 6 years. Got invited to many german friends houses and not everyone spoke english and well my german is bad.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:23 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• It depends on the situation, my husband and his family speak in italian all the time, I understand most of it but there are things I don't understand and it doesn't bother me because even though they speak english, italian is their first language and they are more comfortable speaking it. My husband didn't speak english until he was in kindergarten. But I do think that in your situation it was rude because you don't speak german. And they knew that so of course you would feel left out. When my husbands family speaks italian, they don't do it the whole conversation, just certain things that are easier for them to explain.
    mommyBrooke849

Answer by mommyBrooke849 at 8:01 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Unfortunately when you have people in your life that speak multiple languages that is what happens. My family is German and when they run into other German speaking people you better believe they whip it out. Also I live in Puerto Rico and when I moved here I didn't know the language at all. Plus I have friends that don't even speak English so someone had to suffer.

It's only rude when you KNOW they are talking about you in a different language right in front of you. And trust me, you know when someone is speaking about you even if it's in a different language.
    NotVeryClever

Answer by NotVeryClever at 8:14 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I got jumped in a group the year before last because we had some guys working on our yard.My son speaks spanish and these GROWN men were making disgusting comments about the young girls who were there helping.I instructed them and stacey to speak in english.I told them they were not to have any conversations in spanish since they were being inappropriate.I was told I was being a racist.Oh well!
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 8:29 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I speak multiple languages. It's way fun when someone thinks you couldn't possibly speak a language and then goes off making rude comments and you bust them! Once a group of Russian Navy guys were hanging out of bus windows hollering obscenities at me and my Catholic school homegirls and I started hollering back in Russian and they just about died. Back to the point. It may be natural for your friends to lapse into German when they're all together, but still it is rude to exclude someone like that.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 8:55 AM on Apr. 4, 2009