My 13 month old......

The doctor said now that DS is over one we need to take him off the bottle..... I have him to the point where he is eating meals all day but the last one is his late night and early morning bottle. Any tips for making loosing these any easier? also should I cut out the formula entirely or just give it to him in sippy cups like I have been? Really ANY tips you guys have for doing this right would be awesome, thanks.

MommaRoxs

Asked by MommaRoxs at 7:27 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Once my son turned 1, I weaned him off of formula. Once he was completely on milk is when I started with the bottle. I started by giving him half of a bottle and a full sippy cup at night. I kept putting less and less in the bottle. It didn't take him long at all to not want his bottle at all anymore. The best part was....he didn''t cry for it! Good luck!!
    my_three_sons

Answer by my_three_sons at 7:34 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I gave my daughter formula until she was like 15 months..its not necessary but you could still do it. He's old enough to have whole milk now, you could try that.
    FL_Mommy_2

Answer by FL_Mommy_2 at 7:35 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• If he can drink from a sippy cup, there is no reason to still have a bottle. Just stop giving him a bottle. If you want him to still have formula, that's up to you, but I would still put it in a cup, not a bottle.

If he's getting a varied, balanced diet...check with your pediatrician and put him on milk.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:31 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My 14 mo old is still on a formula bottle at nap/bed time... he will only take a cup if it has juice in it.... He refuses to drink cows milk, even if i mix it with the formula. He just doesn't like it. Most companies make a formula for "older infants and toddlers" (up to 24 mos), so that's what he's on. I'm not planning on taking anything away from him until he's ready. I give him the option of having a sippy at bedtime and he's taking less and less of the bottle then... and I try to offer him reg. milk once a day, to see if he's changed his mind... no luck in that department yet, though.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 12:53 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Formula is so expensive and really isn't necessary but milk is necessary. I'd work on switching the feeding over from formula to milk first (some kids do fine cold turkey, my daughter did). Then after that, try to get him to take those feedings out of the sippy cup. My daughter loves the straw sippy, didn't want to have anything to do with the other ones.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:58 PM on Apr. 4, 2009