Did you save or donate your baby's cord blood?

If you saved it did you have a specific reason (another sick child that would benefit) or did you just do it as a future security precaution?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I gave it to the hospital I gave birth in. It's a teaching hospital.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:04 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I would do it, if I could wait until the cord stopped pulsing before cutting it. I don't want to cut it while it's still pulsating because it increases the risk of anemia, etc, in the newborn. They need that blood, so we wont be doing it.

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:59 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Isn't that expensive? I mean isn't there a monthly fee to store it? I couldn't do that anyway, my dd's cord fell apart when she came out and couldn't be saved.
    danni33

Answer by danni33 at 9:15 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• We talked about it... my BIL has cancer and we talked about it as a treatment option for him.... but in the end they didn't think they wanted to go that route. And I would have had to deliver at another hospital if we DID do it because mine doesn't do it.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:16 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Too expensive to keep. I wanted to donate it, but the edu hospital that would take it was too far away. So we did nothing with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• they told me it was like 2,000 to keep it and I do not think I can come up with that and buy baby things
    Mz.PhatPhat

Answer by Mz.PhatPhat at 9:52 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I wanted to donate but they don't do that in PR.
    NotVeryClever

Answer by NotVeryClever at 10:25 AM on Apr. 4, 2009