Diaper Rash

My 11 month old out of the blue developed this awful diaper rash yesterday. One diaper change she was fine, the next, totally red tush and super painful for her be changed. We started whole milk this week... but we've been doing it since Sunday, and only 1 bottle a day, and only 2 oz. max yet. So I don't really think it's that, but maybe. I've tried the triple antibioic cream and my husband is going out now to buy some A & D, but I just feel so bad for her and I don't know what else I can do for her :( Any thoughts or home remedies I should know about?

cschwanger

Asked by cschwanger at 9:26 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I recommend using aquaphor lotion rather than the creams. Pus it on nice and thick at every change. The diaper has a tendency to wipe off some of those other creams.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• When you wash her with a very mild soap, maybe Aveeno Baby Wash, then wipe it with Witch Hazel. Let it dry really good. The A & D cream is an excellent idea. If you can trust her to have a naked bum for a few minutes without an accident...let her.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 9:42 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• a&d is the best. It always work on my daughters rashes
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 10:33 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My 10 month old son got a horrible diaper rash a week ago. We used Desitin, then the Triple Butt Cream. Nothing helped it and eventually turned into a yeast infection. He is now on some antibiotics to help with that.

IF the diaper rash does not go away, and you notice the skin is starting to puff up, take her to the doctor. We were prescribed Nystatin, which is an anti-fungal medication for the yeast infection. Plus we had to put hydrocortizone on for the itchiness.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:45 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Go find "ButtPaste" . This stuff is amazing. I would take up stock in it if it ws possible. My daughter had a really bad rash, cause we took a road trip and she fell asleep with a poopy diaper for 4 or 5 hours, the next day it was blistered :( Three days max, the rash should be gone. Use alot, every change, ALL OVER all their little parts. GL let me know how it works for you.
    luvMIIsk8rBoi

Answer by luvMIIsk8rBoi at 11:14 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• using those items are great but I have found that it could also be the diaper too. kids can get rashs from diapers. I haven't had any problems with the huggies brand and all my kids.
    5forjulie

Answer by 5forjulie at 9:24 AM on Jun. 10, 2009