being a Christian?

What is the definition of being a Christian? I'd like to say that I am but I know my beliefs are different than some of my Christian friends. I don't go to church either. I try to learn about religion but I don't read my bible. What do you think being a Christian means?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Understanding we are different and understand difference without violence is alright and allowed in our world. We're not churchgoes either but we are Christians. Practicing understanding on a 24 hour basis is most important to keep God going.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• There are many many different ideas/versions of Christianity. I think if you feel in your heart that you are Christian, then you can consider that your religion regardless of judgements from other people. You don't have to be like your friends or anyone else, just do what you feel is best! You will feel best in your beliefs as long as you do what is right in your heart.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 10:37 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• A Christian is someone who, believing that Jesus Christ is the son of the one and only true living God, the one and only true way to heaven, was crucified for the forgiveness of their sins, rose from the dead, has prayed and asked Him to come into their heart to be their personal Lord and Savior. Having done that, they believe the Bible to be the inerrant, Word of God, 100% true and relevant to today and to their best ability, strives to follow its teachings. It has nothing to do with religion, church denomination, ethnicity, or family tradition.
    con't...
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:58 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• ... con't
    Being a good person does not make you a Christian, going to a Bible believing/ teaching church does not make you a Christian. Just because you believe there is a God and you believe that Jesus is His son, does not make you a Christian. Only receiving Jesus Christ as your personal savior & having a relationship with Him makes you a Christian. However, In becoming a Christian, your life will reflect the fact that you are following the teachings of Christ, and your life choices will be made according to scriptural influence.
    BlessedMommy64

• Great answer blessedmommy
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:09 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• You stated your opinion blessedmommy64 as if it is facts. But is not, it is only your opinion. You are not Jesus and cannot decide who is or isn't a real christian. You forgot to state that no one can determine who is christian but Jesus Christ.
    Anonymous

• Christian merely means that you believe that Jesus died on the cross for our sins and that you try to follow His teachings.
    The rest of the doctrine/dogma is irrelevant, and a matter of interpretation.
    I don't believe that anyone has the right to try to judge what is someone's heart. If someone says they are a Christian, as long as they are not acting in an unChristian-like manner (as in being UNkind, UNcompassionate, UNloving, etc), I take their word for it. Only God can determine what is in someone's heart, and Christian is a broad term.

All that matters to be a Christian is to accept Jesus. I don't believe that you have to agree with all this doctrine and dogma in order to have a relationship with Him.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Something I don't agree with is how a lot of Christians will say that its not enough to believe in Jesus if you don't believe in other parts of Christian doctrine/dogma. You're "not a real Christian" if you don't believe this that or the other, and you're merely a heretic, or a false prophet/believer if you say that you disagree with anything like the trinity, hell, etc.

People need to remember that God and His love are the focus - that is what the whole point is about - and to get so caught up in other things (literal Biblical interpretation, the church itself, doctrine/dogma, etc) is like caring more about the tools than the treasure. These things are supposed to aid us on our way, not to be the whole focus and feature of the faith!

There are many kinds of Christian, and no kind is any more "right" or valid than another.

bandgeek521

• Trying too root someone out as not a "True Christian", IMO is quite unChristianlike anyway. And if we were to be judged by our behaviour as opposed to our beliefs on trivial matters of specific interpretations/etc, there would be many people disappointed to find that they, themselves, might not be "true Christians"...

Its not about living the religion and following/believing doctrine/dogma (especially when you realize how parts of doctrine/dogma were decided/enforced) - its about having a relationship with God, about LOVING Him completely and letting His love flow through you into everything you do so that you spread His love with the world.

Anyone who has a heart open to Him, and who believes in Christ as Saviour, should never have to worry about defending their "Christian-ness", ESPECIALLY to/from other Christians....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:28 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• A Christian, quite simply, is one who follows the teachings of Christ. In order to do that well, one must read the instruction manual (better known as the Bible). Through bible study, prayer, and fellowship we grow spiritually and our lives reflect that.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 1:37 PM on Apr. 4, 2009