I have a soon to be 10 month old ds, I have a few questions, maybe you guys can help?

Questions..
1. How can I encourage him to put food in his mouth? He can pick it up, but will not put it in his mouth.

2. I have seen him put toys in his mouth a few times, or my cell phone (yuck) but he doesnt seem to be an oral baby, most babies put everything in their mouths but he rather play with it instead. Do you think this is an issue?

3. Is it ok to buy the big jars on regular applesouce or does it have to be the gerber baby kind? How about apple juice does it need to be the baby stuff or is Motts tots ok?

Thanks for your help!

Scoobersmom

Asked by Scoobersmom at 9:47 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well when he picks the food up, just lead it to his mouth, after a while he should get the message. I don't think that it is a huge issue. Just keep encouraging him, and he should pick it up soon. As for the apple sauce and apple juice, I would stick to the gerber products, they have much less sugar. GOOD LUCK!
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 9:51 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Oh by the way, my daughter never really mouthed the toys like they say babies are supposed to. But she did start putting food in her mouth, and soon as she realized how great it tasted!!! And it made it kinda easier because she wouldn't pick little things up off of the floor, and try to eat them. LOL
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 9:54 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I had to teach my son to put it in his mouth.... he would pick it up and I would guide it to his mouth... then I would cheer when it made it (so he thought it was a game)

My son isn't very oral either... not much goes in his mouth. I'm happy about that!

Regular applesauce is fine... just check there isn't added sugars.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:00 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My son is 10 months, but he puts everything in his mouth, LOL. I agree with the other posters, guide the food into his mouth with his hand. It shouldn't take him that long to get the hint :)

As for the apple sauce and juice, I buy the regular stuff. I bought some organic apple sauce from Meijer that was pretty good. I also buy the two big jugs of the Motts apple juice from Sam's. Sometimes I'll buy the Gerber brand sauce and juice, but it's okay to use the non-baby brands. Just check the labels.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 10:30 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• 1. Show him. He's more likely to mimic you than do it on his own. Offter to help, but don't force. When he's intrested, he'll let you know.

2. Be happy! The more things that go in the mouth, the more often the will be sick. It's not good or bad to explore with the mouth. Just different kids being different.

3. Regular is fine. I would avoid the flavored/cinnimian (i can't spell today) and don't give large amounts as apple sause and juice can cuase diahrrea in large amounts. mots for tots should be fine. I think it's watered down, but at under a year, I'd water it down more anyway. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• PS I wish my dd wouldn't put so much in hermouth. She grabs dog crap out of the yard. She found a firework from new years and put that in her mouth! Beer bottle caps from the neighbors. I have ot watch her like a hawk! But don't wory, your baby will find another way to get into trouble for you! :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I've never had this problem. My 9 moth old dd puts EVERYTHING in her mouth. Just let him play and encourage to eat it. maybe show him that mommy eats it too. about the big jars of applesauce, I rarely give my dd 'regular' applesauce because of the sugar, I wouldnt do it on a daily basis.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 11:07 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Try those bitter bisquits from Gerber.Tht's how my son first learned to feed himself.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 11:33 AM on Apr. 4, 2009