how to help with reading comprehention

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I know what you mean. I did a couple of things. One was for home practice before doing school homework I had my son do a couple of pages of story q and q from a store bought grade level workbook below his grade level. That helped a super lot keeping it up. And I had him read the newspaper a lot and we'd talk about current event also go guage his comprehension. Try that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• We heard from a librarian to have your child read a section of a book..a chapter or maybe for 20min..however you want the reading to take place. And then go back over that chapter and find some words (5 or 10 words) that he/she doesn't know the meaning of and have them look them up and learn the meanings. We tried this with my ds and it's done wonders!
    danni33

Answer by danni33 at 9:58 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I'm working with a student at school that has this problem. He is able to read pretty well, so I'll work him above grade level stories, (push him up higher if he can) we are going paragraph by paragraph of a story and he has to tell me what is happening in that paragraph, who the main characters are, etc. and the right the notes on the margins. Basically we tear the story apart, it's tedious. I also get him to draw parts of the story.
    I find it's easier to comprehend a story when you can visualize it, and what's taking place. And like Danni33, check to make sure they "know" the words they are reading. Best of luck to you both!
    lilmommy0416

Answer by lilmommy0416 at 10:41 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I agree with the above answers - spending time reading and discussing is good. You can see that he knows the vocabulary, picks up key information... and give him tips if this is not the case. I have seen where my kids read but won't pick up the dictionnary for a few words they didn't know that would certainly help them understand better - so get the child in the habit of doing this.

However, if it really seems to be a problem, you might check for dyslexia. My daughter had therapy in primary school and greatly improved - now in Jr. high, I see some of the same symptoms - its isn't the classic case of mixing b and d, etc. but she skips over words when she reads so she misses key information, particuarly if she reads in her head, and not outloud. Outloud she has few problems, but she can't handle all her work reading outloud.
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 1:14 PM on Apr. 4, 2009