I think my niece is pregnant, please help.

Me and my sister have never got on particularly well, and I went to her house yesterday and stayed over the night to look after the children as her little ones are too much for her 13 year old to babysit. When I went to go to the bathroom I saw her 13 year old in a bra with a defined bump and my sister has been complaining for weeks about how her daughter can't stop throwing up and how she's worried about it. Also when I walked in it looked as if the 13 year old was examining her stomach and there was a packet she hastily grabbed and took with her, I'm really worried about her but she's not open with me as I barely know her really so she locked herself in her room for the rest of the night. My sister's going to go crazy at me but I figure I have to broach it, right? She'll think I'm calling her daughter promiscious...etc... Please help me unmuddle this situation so to speak! :|

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Well one things for sure, if she is... Mommy is gonna find out anyways... I would voice you concern and just let the chips fall where they may.... Mom buys your female products right? then she should know if something is up.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 10:40 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• her not your
    soonmommyof3

• The best thing you could be is tell her what occured while you were at the house, and that between what she's told you about your niece and what you saw you think she may be pregnant.

If she is pregnant, she needs to get the appropriate care.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 10:41 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• This is a hard one...exspecially if you and your sister haven't always seen eye to eye (if you know what I mean)...

You could talk to your niece first and ask her... and maybe together can tell mom...

Good Luck

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:45 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• SInce you're not close to your sister I'd find the time to tell your niece your thoughts first. That opens the door for her to feel comfortable with some one separate or in addition to her mom depending on her mom and her relationship. If she sees you're not putting her down if there is a pregnancy and if she can't talk herself to her mom, maybe she'll agree to talk to mom with you with her if she can get to being comfortable with you. Birthright and Planned Parenthood, schools usually can advocate for pregnant teens too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I would ask my niece directly and say you are there to support her and help her address the situation but it is not something to ignore. Be really understanding and ask lots of supportive questions and let her know that she can be honest and you will help her in any way you can to break the news to her mom. If she is, I am sure she is scared. She will need a non judgemental adult to help her break the news and be strong.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 10:45 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Thats a touchy situation! Maybe you could suggest to your sister that she take her daugter to the doctor for all the throwing up....tell her you can never be to careful with all the food recalls lately! Once they tell the doctor all her symptoms, he should figure it out!
    my_three_sons

Answer by my_three_sons at 10:46 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I would approach your neice first and kind of give her a heads up, that you "know" her situation. She so young, I'm sure she scared and nervous that she might be. See if you can be a united front when you approach your sister about it. OR
    If your neice won't open up about, confont your sister. There is no easy way to do it, and she might be mad at you for it. (more than likely) Don't take it personal, its something that happens, some just lash out when given bad news. If she is upset, give her time to cool down. It'll be tough on the family if the daughter is pregnant, just be a supportive sister and aunt. They'll need your support and will appreciate if not now, then later.
    lilmommy0416

Answer by lilmommy0416 at 10:54 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• That's a tough suitation. I think you should tell your sister on what you see that night. You tell her pieces by pieces and she probably could put it back together like a puzzel and figure it out herself.

If she isn't. that's great. But if she is pregnant, you know she needs help.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 10:54 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Ditto on your sister taking her to the doctor. If any of my children were throwing up for no apparent reason I would take them to the doctor. Sounds to me though you have a tough situation on your hands. I wish I had something more insightful to tell you, but you just need to let it play out. It could be that your niece was embarrassed about you seeing her in her bra, you said yourself you are not close with any of them. If you were closer with your sister then I would speak up and suggest she take her daughter to the doctor. Who knows, the niece could be bulimic, not pregnant. Either way she needs to see a doctor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Apr. 4, 2009