How do I deal with a know it all step mom?

My 11 year old step mom tells me how to do everything. She continusly gives me advice and trys to tell me how to raise her. She doesn't have any children yet. For example when my dd started her menstral I called to let her know she goes into explane to me how tampoons are not good for a child her age I already know this. But she gives me things like this all the time as if I am stupid or something. She talks down to me like I am not her real mom. The child lives with me. What do I do? I would like to get perspective from both sides.

daisy884

Asked by daisy884 at 10:55 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Does she have any backround in this matter. Is she around children often is she completely clueless. I am about in this situation and some of my friends are already in this situation and it is very hard. If she is completly off and doesnt know what she talking about, tell her. this is my daughter and although you might be trying to help... I need to make these decesions on my own ty. But on the other hand, in my postition, i would do anything to help my soon to be step daughters mom. And i know she already is irrated just because i'm the other woman, and how dare she.. kinda like you(it seems) i think it is natural to feel this way.. but she might have all your interests in hand, and like me just trying to help. But #1 you are the mom. I do have children.. but i have boys and my soon to be step child is a girl... so this will be veryinteresting. Maybe instead of looking at it like talking down, look at it like......
    Anonymous

• she is your friend giving advise.. she might really be trying to help
    Anonymous

• I am a mom and a step mom. I am very respectful towards my SS's mom, even though she is nuts. You do not even have to talk to the SM if you dont want. Let's face it... we did all our best parenting when we had no kids! I am sure she thinks she is helping, and you can be grateful that your daughter has a SM that cares, but she is YOUR daughter. Are you on good terms with the EX still? Just tell him that you appreciate her trying to help, but please ask his wife to only offer advice when asked. (then talk to her once in a while about some issue just to make her happy) NO one wants advice they didnt ask for.
    PattiDons

Answer by PattiDons at 9:25 PM on Apr. 4, 2009