Coffee grounds and tea

Are they beneficial for any kind of domestic plants? We use so much of them I want to use them for composting, but are they actually useful for any specific plant(s) to make them grow better? Could they be used as a sort of filler to put in planters or flower or vegetable beds?

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 10:56 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I know if you have a compost pile you can put them in there. But what your talking about I do not know.

Answer by louise2 at 11:06 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Coffee grounds are good for all plants indoor and outdoor ... just mix within the soil and it must be used grounds...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:30 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• If you have dogs, DO NOT use them in either compost or as fertilizer for any plants. they contain the same chemical in chocolate (theobromide, I think) that can cause heart failure in dogs. If you've already used some, keep hydrogen peroxide on hand to induce vomiting if you catch your dog ingesting it. Usually about 1-3 tablespoons will do it, but keep an eye on them until they do.

NOTE: Do not induce vomiting for your dog eating anything and everything. Sometimes it will do more harm than good, so thsi advice only applies to coffee and chocolate. :)
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:03 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I have always mixed coffee grounds with my egg shells to put around my rose bushes.
    Hope this helps.
    http://www.greendaily.com/2007/12/28/21-ways-to-use-old-coffee-grounds/
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 12:21 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• and
    http://domestikgoddess.com/tea-and-coffee-as-fertilizer/
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Thank you so much, I am going to check it out.
    Seriously I drink so much tea every day that I would like to make a use for all the grounds. We use a little less coffee, but still. Ok, I am gonna try to move a little today. Thank you, smooches.
    Bea
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 3:30 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I use to 8-16 oz bottles of Pepsi (when it was still made with cane sugar and in glass bottles) or drink a gallon of Iced tea a day and in winter two pots of coffee a day, we then discovered 2 years ago that I have ADHD and that was my way of self medicating over the years. I still love Iced Tea and Coffee but I don't NEED to drink it anymore I do because I like it....
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 3:46 PM on Apr. 4, 2009