What could be the problem with my daughter-she have had cough for a month, and doctor's prescription dont help?

My daughter doesnt seem to have cough because it is not as bad a real cough. But I have noticed that for 2-3 weeks already, she has been sniffing (but without drips) and coughing a little (as if clearing her throat) most of the time when she's awake, and Im worried about it already. I went to the doctor and she's given Amoxycillin for a week. After that, she still has it, so I went to another doctor for a second opinion.

I told her of my daughter's history, that she has been given 2-month prescription for a borderline primary complex almost a year ago. But this time it seems that her condition is bothering me. I pity her, coz she seems to have much to bring out of her throat but nothing comes out. As a result, the doctor administered ppd to see whether she has active primary complex still. But EVEN IF it turned out negative she told me today,she has to take a propilaxis ISONIAZID for 3 mos. Shall I follow her?

lovesha

Asked by lovesha at 10:57 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It sounds like your dd could be developing some sort of allergy to something... could be seasonal allergies... you can either try a child's over the counter type allergy med or go to a child's allergy specialist and get their thought...
    This way you will get a 3rd opinion what may be causing your dd's coughing... my 8 yr gets that type of coughing in the Fall every yr has since he was 3 ...
    I hope your little one feels better soon...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:22 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• It sounds like allergies to me. When they sniff but can't blow anything out. When they clear their throat like that all the time. This is exactly what I did all through my childhood. I am allergice to things like dust and grass. If you or others in your family have asthma or allergies, this is likely what she has. I controlled mine for a while with prescription antihistamines, then with over the counter antihistamines, now with nasal spray antihistamines. I don't know what the terms mean that you used, primary complex and the med name, but I'd recommend her seeing somebody that can deal with allergies.

Answer by Bmat at 11:22 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• we have had an illness going around like that.... they just keep giving meds.. i dunno.. i would get a second opinion. and look into the alergy thing. but the doctors here said it's just a bad virus and the weather changing like it has been everyone seems to be passing it more than usual.
    muzikgrl477

Answer by muzikgrl477 at 12:21 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Why was she given a prescription for amox? Just for the cough?
    lizzeh

Answer by lizzeh at 12:23 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• If u feel comfortable give her a teaspoon or two of dark honey. It worked for myself and my 6yr old this winter. I asked her Ped about it and he said it was safe.
    mom9502

Answer by mom9502 at 2:37 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Allergies? That would be my guess. It is spring and tons of stuff is in bloom.

And shame on your doctor for giving her antibiotics without confiming an actual bacterial infection. Next time, make sure you know WHY she is being given antibiotics. Taking them when there is no bacterial infection can be very harmful.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I have allergies and asthma. Even when I'm not sick with a cold I'll bring stuff up out of my chest. A lot of times when you're allergic to something, your body will create mucus to help expell whatever it is...in your nose, throat, or chest. Try some Claritin for a couple of days to see what happens. It can't do any harm!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My son has tics. One way he tics is throat clearing and sniffing even if he is not sick.
    Anonymous