Which is cheaper in the long run cloth diapers or disposable?

abs0726

Asked by abs0726 at 11:05 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• cloth...
    Destiny13

Answer by Destiny13 at 11:06 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• If affordability is the priority, cloth.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 11:11 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Cloth diapers are good cause you can reuse them.BUT, you have to spend money to wash them,,like water and electricity to run the washer. And laundery soap, fabric softener. So cheaper then disposable I say they are probably about the same price,,when it comes down to it.

Answer by louise2 at 11:12 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Cloth, even taking washing, etc. into consideration. I've been using cloth for 2 years. My water bill may have gone up $5-10 a month. I use very little soap to wash them so maybe $5 extra in soap a month. I haven't bought new diapers for my 2 year old in a year since he hasn't changed in size. So without a doubt, cloth is WAY cheaper. And once your child is PT'd they have a great resale value so you get a nice amount of your money back(I sold some of my small diapers when he was 6 months old and got $110 of my $200 investment back).

FYI: NEVER use fabric softener on cloth.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 11:46 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I agree with Pauline-- then add up what you would spend on each child, and you're savings just increased again. I considered both, and we're going with cloth-- have you seen the new diapers they have now? They're just as convenient as disposables-- premade, cute, and easy to care for.

I do plan to keep some disposables on hand for traveling, but we're going with the cloth for primary use.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:59 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Cloth. You don't use THAT much soap either. Fortunately, we don't pay for water, and you only have to pay for CDs once instead of every week. I'm a member of Cloth Diapering Mamas. Join that group and get some help there. There are LOTS of people there who are just starting out, we'd be glad to help get you the information you need! You CAN go out with cloth, and you ARE able to find the type of diaper that work for you. I also have a journal post on how to use pocket diapers (which is what I use) if you need a visual. I've converted lots of people in my CM circle, if you'd like to PM me. I also agree with Pauline. You use very little soap and NO fabric softener (it causes them to leak)!
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 12:01 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• cloth is a larger investment in the beginning, but is way cheaper in the long run. i use cloth wipes as well.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 12:37 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I have spent around 2000 plus dollars on my daughter's diapers. I usually use eco friendly, which are more pricey.

I can spend 300 dollars in one sitting, just once, on diapers for this new baby and that lasts through potty training. HUGE different.

I can make my own laundry detergent, and you don't use a lot, for about 15 dollars for 10 gallons.

I run the washer after 8 pm, so the cost of electricity is less.

Also, if you do a full load, it costs less. There's maybe a 5 dollar difference in my water bill. Also, you can line dry diapers so that cuts costs too.

Cloth is cheaper, more environmentally friendly, and just handy all around. :) Especially if you learn to make them!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Abs, I've done the math, and even if you get the store brand diapers, cloth diapers are cheaper in the long run. I had to do the math to convince my husband that cloth diapers are worth it.

With a newborn, you're going to be doing extra laundry anyway, and you can make your own laundry detergent that's safe on cloth diapers. And since fabric softener is a big no-no for cloth diapers, you don't need to worry about that expense.

Cloth is cheaper in the long run, better for the environment, better for your baby's skin, and if you shop Froogle, you can find some awesome deals on great cloth diapers.
    Aubles

Answer by Aubles at 1:03 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Cloth, hands down.  Even if you a uber frugal, use coupons, buy cheap disposable diapers.... It still adds up to a bunch.  And if you live in one of those places were you pay per bag of trash, even more!

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 1:34 PM on Apr. 4, 2009