Breastfeeding question

My daughter is 9 months old and I am still breastfeeding her. She eats solids but has never had formula. Anyway, my left breast is now really sore. This has never happened before. It is not the nipple. It feels like someone punched me and my breast is bruised. Does anyone know what could be the cause of this?

AliMom714

Asked by AliMom714 at 11:10 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is it harder in in the area where it's sore? It could be a clogged duct. If so, you could try massaging it in the shower and putting a warm cloth over it, massaging it while baby nurses to try to get it unclogged.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:54 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• It doesnt really feel hard, just sore. I will try your suggestions though. Thank you!
    AliMom714

Answer by AliMom714 at 1:11 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• it is probably mastitis. is it red? is it hot? if none of those simptoms then drain it out few times a day and it will go away.
    DaryaK

Answer by DaryaK at 1:37 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• If it is red, sore and hot to the touch it is very likely mastitis. Our if just sore it could just be a clogged duct. I had a clogged duct when I was about 9 months into breastfeeding too. I thik it was becuase my son had started eating more solids and I cut back his feeding a little bit. I went to webmd.com and found more info on what causes it and how to prevent it again.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 4:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2009