sisters

Me and my sister have never gotten along. She's screwed me over alot in our life time, and I have always been her big sister, getting her out of trouble, standing behind her. I feel like she doesn't have a conscience, for a little over a year now I have just given up. Should I try to make things right, life is only so short, or should I keep my distance to avoid future issues?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• You can have a relationship with her, but you have to stop enabling her to be irresponsible. If you can't separate the two, then maybe you should call her every now and then to tell her you love her and are thinking of her. You must not allow her to continually take advantage of yourself and you cannot keep covering her bad choices. While it is difficult to strike a balance, it is possible but you will probably have to work hard at being close and keeping your distance at the same time.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:52 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• If you really want to have a relationship with her then I would start out slow. Do not get involved in too much of her life. A simple lunch date here and that sort of thing, maybe a phone call or so. You are right life is too short for old grudges but it is also too short to have a relationship with someone who sucks the life out of you. I would think on this one if I were you. If you think you can sustain a relationship where she will not have the opportunity to "screw you over" then go for it but be careful.

Tawanda74

Answer by Tawanda74 at 11:41 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I have the same problem with my sister.. She's my older sister and has absolutely no respect for me or my family... I think she only knows the name of my oldest son and we have 3 boys.. The last time I saw her was about 3 yrs ago and it doesn't bother me at all... She made her choice, I was there for her when she needed me, I have been used enough. I figure the next time I see her it will be at a furneral, or family reunion.. Our parents are gone so there's really no reason to try.
    If you love her and it's hurting you to not have a relationship with her then all you can do is try... GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• You can still have contact but keep it casual and on a friend basis instead of a family basis.

Answer by Bmat at 12:00 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I have the same issues with my sister except she's my older sister. She's more concerned about what I can do for her than anything else. She got mad when I got married because I was moving away and couldnt be at her beck and call. She has repeatedly disrespecting my husband and my family, as has her fiancee. I have tried to reach out to her several times but she doesnt get that I want nothing to do with her fiancee (he tried to force himself on me and she blamed me). She says its both of them or none at all. Well that wasnt a hard decision, so we havent spoken in a long time.
    As far as the OP, it depends on if its worth it for you.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 12:35 PM on Apr. 4, 2009