How to "wing" my child from pacifiers

Recently my sister had a baby boy. So, pacifiers have been laying around the house. My daughter never really cared too much for pacifiers until she saw my nephew with one. So, she started wanting a pacifier and I started giving it to her so she would go to sleep. Now, everything has spiraled out of control. Instead of her wanting it for sleep she wants it throughout the day. She is 20 months and I refuse to allow her to have a pacifer once she turns two years old. So, what is a good and effective way to wing her from the pacifier?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I found that going "cold turkey" after I got my daughter down to just using hers at nap and night. Once we got it down to those two times, I got rid of all pacifiers in the house (so I wouldn't give in). The first night I sat beside her bed and rubbed her back, played soft music until she was almost asleep, then I told her goodnight and left the room. I didn't want her to get used to me being in the room to fall asleep. The first night she asked for it and fussed a little, but the next day we stayed committed to quitting and by the third night she was fine! Good Luck!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 11:50 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• i'd have to agree with Love toTeach..cold turkey is the best way. It'll suck for about 3 days but definitely the way to go. Good Luck
    danni33

Answer by danni33 at 12:06 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• We drove down the road and threw his out the window (my sister was behind us and stopped to pick it up so we weren't littering). When Sean asked for his "Appi" we said, "Remeber, you threw it out the window." He asked where it was and we told him that he was a big boy and that another baby needed it. He fussed some but he didn't scream all night. He's 3 now and will occasionally ask for his "Appi" even though it's been a year now. The main thing is to not give in.
    DeeGillette

Answer by DeeGillette at 12:07 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My daughter had to have a pacifier all the time. I threw all of the pacifiers away but one. Than one day she fell and she cut her mouth on the pacifier and she never took another pacifier after that Cause I threw that on away.
    momof386

Answer by momof386 at 12:29 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• i took one and cut the sucker part off just so a little tiny bit was still on it and when my son asked for his binkie i would hand him that one and say i didnt have anymore. He threw a fit that didnt last long and when he went for a nap that day i handed him the one i cut and told him that was all i had he was a big boy now and he has not asked for one since
    J_L_Fshr

Answer by J_L_Fshr at 3:18 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Hi! I wanted to let you know that I have chosen your question for this weeks Ask Mrs Manners column in the Toddler Buzz! Please come and check out the answer and comments on Wednesday! Thank you!
    MrsManners

Answer by MrsManners at 10:08 AM on Apr. 5, 2009