• In the Spotlight:

Can I get child support for my 2 boys even if they are with their dad more than with me? and he pays $$460 a month for daycare..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Apr. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• Why would you want to sue him he sounds like a good father. Don't do that...now com'on. But to answer your question if the child is under your custody then yes you could.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 11:48 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• ...but I will tell them he pays for childcare and they can calculate that in.
    diamondmamma

• That woud depend on your state's guidelines. Some give credit for the amount of time spent with the child, some don't. Find an online child support calculator for your state and put in the numbers.

desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 11:53 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I would think if they spend more of their time at their dad's then if anything they will say YOU owe him child support. I would caution about trying to get anything.
    My sil ended up signing over her rights to her daughter. At the time her dd was 15 going on 16 and living with her dad. He was having money problems and took my sil to court for child support which she couldn't afford so instead she signed away her rights which removed the child support. Her daughter was devastated.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:55 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• uhh, no and why would you want to sounds to me the man is doing is part as a father by taking care of his kids.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 11:57 AM on Apr. 4, 2009

• They spend more time with their dad because I work night shift (no daycare open at night, and I put in my request for day shift but I haven't been there 6 months -so they won't grant it.) and I live in a different school district and didn't want to take my oldest out of school in the middle of the year to put him in a different school, I walked away with all the bills....now I have horrible credit...the $10,000 deck was financed in my name along with the riding lawnmower...that I let him keep (because he needs it more than me, and I was trying to be nice about things...it's not even paid for) He has just refinanced the house, paid off most of his revolving debt....and is living way more comfortably than I...I am working double shifts, struggling to keep my truck (monthly payment $450!!! cant get rid of it...stuck!) And he won't even give me money for gas, so I can get to work! Does it pay to be nice about things?
    Anonymous

• Oh so you want child support to pay off your debt while the kids are still staying with their father?...ok
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 12:14 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Take him to court and ask that he pays the bills for the things he has...like the mower for example. Does he live at the house with the deck? Make him pay for that too. You aren't getting anything out of it. We're you guys married or just together?

It sounds to me like he's doing his part and while it may sound comfy living for him...he does have to pay for childcare which you probably don't pay anything on...I'm not trying to sound rude...but he sounds like he's taking care of his kids well and there are lots of mom's who'd die to be in your place!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:16 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• No you shouldn't. I am sorry but this frustrates me a lot. My sister and her husband pay her husbands ex 500 a month in child support and the child lives with my sister and her husband. The mother is currently living in another state and has a drug problem. It costs a minumum of 1,000 dollars to hire a lawyer to change child support. They have already called and talked to everyone. THe only way to fix this is to come up with a 1000 dollars. How can they do this if they are paying 500 dollars a month in child support. I am trying to be nice about things and I am sorry for your situation. But if he is paying child care to the tune of 460 a month I think I would just be grateful. I don't know how much you would get for child support, but he is already paying for their daycare. I would be very grateful for that!
    simplysmiles13

Answer by simplysmiles13 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Child support is based on the income of both parents..
    In some states medical, time spent, daycare, summer care is calculated in the child support calculation.

Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:26 PM on Apr. 4, 2009