To speak or not.....

My daughter doesn't talk that much, or that well. The most she'll say on her on is move, open, mama,hi,bye and come on. The only time she'll say other words is if I tell her to say something(ex : Say "no" then she'll say "no"). Atfirst I was kind of worried and thought something was wrong, but then I realized she always have her pacifier in her mouth(which is a problem, so I'll be working on her not having it anymore). So my question is, Could it be the pacifier hindering her from speaking to her full potential, or is it something else? Also, how should I encourage her to talk more often?
(by the way : She'll be two in about five months. Also, she have no problems comprehending what I am telling her. She's very smart! )

whateverFITSyou

Asked by whateverFITSyou at 12:16 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• One way I tried to encourage me dd to talk was if she wanted something I would hold it up and say what it is...and then not give it to her until she said it..
    Her speech teacher recommended I do that..I was hard at times..
    If you are so concerned have your child avaluated by the state, it costs you nothing and if they are delayed the state will come into your home until they are three years old.
    good luck.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:23 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I would get her hearing checked. I have heard that some kids have ear trouble and it affects their speech development because if they can't hear exactly what you are saying they don't repeat it.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 4:21 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Or she may just be a slow go-er, and that is normal too.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 4:22 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Or.....she is just deep in thought and is a quiet thinker.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 4:23 PM on Apr. 4, 2009