Is a verbal contract legally binding just like a written contract?

...so a man at our local flea market sells used computers. Last saturday I went and talk to the guy about selling me an operating system for 100 bucks. He said he didn't have any available then but he will get one for me tomorrow. I gave him my number and told him to contact me once he gets it. Well I was talking with my mother and she informed me that she'll give me the computer at her house of course, for free. When the dude called me the next day I told him I apologized but it was ok I didn't want to buy. So he goes off on me saying that he went into the next town to buy the computer and how I was irresponsible and he should the take me to court. I was like what the hell! Then he calls back later on that day and said that he'll give me the computer for $75, I was like no! He said he will see me in court and hung up. Can he do this or is he just being an childish idiot about it?

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 12:21 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• A verbal contract is as good as the paper it was written on.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 12:26 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it at all.
    momjoy1027

• But can he take me to court?
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 12:27 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• a verbal contracts stands in court like a written one.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 12:28 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• lol Its not going to hold up in Court, and i HIGHLY doubt he will take you to court for a comp he prob got for 50 bucks. He will end up payng more in court fees. Dont worry about it.
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 12:29 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Unless the "verbal agreement" was witnessed by someone who will testify to it, it's NOT legally binding. The guy may feel presumed upon for going to the trouble of getting a computer to sell to you, but you are under no legal obligation to buy it.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:29 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Depending on the state you're in verbal contracts can indeed be binding. If you live in a state that is he can take you to small claims. You made a contract. Terms were clear, an operating system for $100.00. A time was specified..'tomorrow" It is likely he went out of his way and put money out of pocket to get this item for you.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• It's going to cost him more to fight it then the computer cost him to buy,lol I don't think it's considered a contract unless you both stated that it was in the conversation you had and was witnessed. I would call an attorney and have a free consult just to be sure if you're worried...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 12:45 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• a verbal contract does not count in court sorry ladies. saw this on judge judy they have a verbal contract but it did not count because it was a he said she said argument.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 12:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• There was no contract, verbal or otherwise. If I go to Wal-mart and say I want xyz computer but they don't have any in stock I am not obligated to buy there.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2009