How do I potty train a 3year old that dont want to be potty trained?

I have a 3 year old son that wants to wear underwear but he rather wet himself then go in the potty. He knows that when he has to go potty that he goes to the bathroom. I almost had him completely potty trained then I had another baby and he seen that the baby was in dipers so he wanted dipers. I have tried reward stickers, singing and dancing with him that he was a big boy everytime he went. I just really dont know what to do anymore somebody help me PLEASE!!

aroice06

Asked by aroice06 at 12:28 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• try putting cheerios in the toilet and telling him to sink them. He should find it fun & want to go in the toilet instead of his pants.
    Kbmancine

Answer by Kbmancine at 12:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• It is difficult to train at that advanced age. I would have him sit on the potty regularly & make him wait there (for a reasonable amount of time) until he goes. Perhaps give him a book to read (either explaining the story to you from the pictures or holding the book while you read it) and if he hasn't gone by the time he finishes the book he can try again in half an hour. There is really nothing now you can do except show him that you aren't going to let it go & having more patience than him. It is never a good idea to punish a child for not going, but if rewards don't work a no-nonsense insistence that the goes to the potty will eventually work.

Anonymous

• It's the hardest thing I have ever had to do. And if I had known how hard it would be, I wouldn't have gotten pregnant with the child I am currently carrying.

Rewards rewards.... we did candy.... I tried to give him one m&m for pee pee, two m&m's for poops.... that wasn't enticing for him. So, he would get a candy.... it used up all the Halloween candy.... now if it was something huge - like a full size candy bar, he would only get half. When we ran out of Halloween candy, it was Hershey's miniatures. So, you just have to find something that your child likes and wants... for a friend fruit snacks worked....
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 1:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

Don't borrow trouble.  This child may be much different, especially if it's a girl.

callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 1:35 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My adhd son wasn't fully trained until he was nearly 5 years old. I took him to the toilet 20 or 30minutes after meals. I took him before leaving the house, first thing in the morning and before bedtime. He couldn't leave the bathroom until we counted slowly to ten. Sometimes just slowing him down was all it took to start a stream. If nothing happened, we tried again in 30 minutes. I also stayed close by and watched for signs, like twisting into a pretzel, eyes getting bigger, you know what I mean. Good luck. It isn't fun, but he'll get there. And by the way, you are the one that earns the prize. No more diapers!!!!
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 7:21 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Make him clean up his own mess.
    SarahColbert

Answer by SarahColbert at 7:53 PM on Apr. 4, 2009