How do you deal with the stress of the Rh- blood type while pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• When they do all the blood work at your first visit they check to see if you are producing antibodies. If you are they will give you a shot of rhogam, if not it's all good. They also give a shot at 28w (I had it will all three boys) and at 40w if you go over (just as a booster from the 28w one). It is very rare to become sensitized, mom and baby's blood rarely come into contact during pregnancy, it's at birth that they would be more likely to come into contact. After the birth if the baby is rh+ they will give you a shot of rhogam to protect future babies. Plus it's really only a worry if you are neg and dad is pos, if dad is neg as well baby will be neg and there's no need to worry. I've had three successful pregnancies being rh- and given birth to three healthy boys. Try to relax, the fact that it's known that you are rh- is the biggest thing and will ensure that you have proper care for it.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:05 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• There is zero stress at all. I am Rh- and don't even think about it. Why? Because becoming sensitized during pregnancy is extremely rare. I don't think about the "what if's" at all, that's no way to live.

I did receive my rhogam shot at 15.5 weeks because I was bleeding severely vaginally, and to make sure sensitization didn't occur I received the shot.

I don't receive the 28 weeks shot, I don't believe in injecting all those toxins without a reason.

I will receive the shot after birth if my child is rh+. My daughter was negative so I didn't receive the shot after her. :)

There isn't really anything to worry about unless your body already has produced the antibodies (which your doctor would know)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2009