Is it wrong? (baby shower/birthday/christmas gifts)

Is it wrong to return things that are given as gifts, if the person does NOT include a gift receipt? For example - people give you things for birthdays/christmas/baby showers that are... for many diff reasons... unusable? Or they were duplicates? Or, in some cases... just not a good idea in the first place? I can take this stuff back to Walmart and get a gift card and that will take care of groceries for the next 2 weeks... but DF is all "My mom got that!" or whatever. But then, what will I say when she asks about previously mentioned gift?

MunchiesMom324

Asked by MunchiesMom324 at 12:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Shopping

• When I got married, my mom bought me lots of kitchen supplies/baking items. She gave me a lot of the things that she had (new of course) and there was some things we just didn't have the space for and some things that we decided we just didn't need or want.... I called my mom and asked if she had the reciepts... She felt bad for getting stuff we didn't want/need but she gave me the reciepts so I could exchange/return them. I told her that I really appreciated the thought (and money!) she put into but that sometimes what you need/want is NOT the same as what others think you will need/want.

If you are worried about hurting her feelings, just tell her the truth... you don't need it... sure the crock pot big enough for 20 is great, but its just you guys so you just don't need something that big... but thank you for the thought! Knowing someone appreciates the thought cn go just as far as loving the gift.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 11:39 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I think most moms wouldn't care if you exchange or return something. I wouldn't care. It is supposed to be the thought that counts anyway. I would keep doing what you are doing. I see now harm in it unless it was a really really personal gift, which you probably wouldn't return anyway.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 4:12 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I think it's perfectly fine. Personally if they are duplicates I wouldn't even think twice. I would want someone to return something they couldn't use for something that they could/would. If it's stuff you need or could use then I would say to keep it. In other words if you are just returning it for the money/gift card then no but if you honestly can't use it or have duplicates then yes go for it.
    Anonymous

• I agree with Anon. The point of a gift if to get you something you could use.
    joleensboys

Answer by joleensboys at 6:46 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I tried to return some footed sleepers because my son was a summer baby & didn't really need them. The gifter (right term?) had peeled the barcode off! LOL that was kind of embarassing because the cashier was like, let me guess, baby shower gift? You kinda have to keep it because we can't take it back...everyone else gave us gift receipts so I guess we were lucky (we kept nearly everything though because it was needed items)
    MagicToenail

Answer by MagicToenail at 1:21 AM on Apr. 5, 2009