This summer I will have my 6 and 8 year old step-daugters plus my 1 year old son. Any ideas on how to entertain them with little money?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Lots of trips to the playground, local pool, keep up to date on things for children going on in your community. There should be lots of carnivals and fairs this summer I'm sure. Just make sure they get lots of outside time, they always enjoy that. Maybe the circus or something like that also. There is never a lack of things to do in the summer. lol. And most of the things I listed are pretty inexpensive...Good Luck!!
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 12:41 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Well, besides the obvious, taking them to the park, which can get boring after a while...let's see. Do you live in a house with a backyard? Get a hose and a sprinkler head, they make some especially for backyard play. Let them play in the water. You can get one or two of those hard plastic pools from Walmart for about $10 each and fill those up. You can do one with water and the other you can turn into a sandbox. Hmm, go on walks, riding bikes. Draw on the sidewalk with chalk. Paint the outside of the house with water. (Get lots of paintbrushes like those that come with water colors. Fill bowls with water. Choose a wall by the back patio and let them "paint" the wall with water. I know the LO should really like that one.) Go to the library...a lot of libraries have summer story times, check those out. Check out kids friendly craft books and do some of the crafts...I could go on and on...there's tons to do!!
    Anonymous

• Get a bladder pool. You can get a pretty good size pool for not too much money (anywhere from $100-$500 depending on size). It is the best investment we ever made! Our girls played in ours practically every day last summer. It was about the same as a local pool membership, but we could use it whenever we wanted.
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 12:46 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Another suggestion-- VBS hop! I have a friend who took her daughter to about 4 every summer just to get out of the house and have something to do.
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 12:47 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I agree on the pool idea, we bought one last yr, its 18x4.5 and our boys loved it!! It saved gas money, and didn't have to deal with a germy public pool... We're going to invest in a new salt water pump this yr, then we won't have to huge cost of chlorine and it's better for all of us...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 12:57 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• wen the 1 yr odl goes down for a nap u can make ice cream with the other 2! its making ice cream in a bag.... what you need:
    for each child:
    1 gallon size ziploc
    1 quart size ziploc
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 cup cream
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 tsp vanilla
    1/2 salt
    ice
    pour milk, cream , sugar and vanilla in quart size bag. then put substancial amount of ice into big bag and add salt. put in the the sealed quart size bag. then swish GENTLY back an forth for about 10-15 min or until ice cream texture : )

its delicious!!!!
    MattsMomma316

Answer by MattsMomma316 at 1:24 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I watch my young grandchildren in the summer. I have a swingset..trampoline and a nice pool in the yard. Keeps them pretty occupied and when the outside play is done I bring them in ..clean them up..feed them and let them watch a dvd.
    nana2u10

Answer by nana2u10 at 2:01 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• If you have a dollar store near you... pick up whatever you can use for art and crafts.
    saltycoqui

Answer by saltycoqui at 3:03 PM on Apr. 4, 2009