Question About Birth Certificates

I will be finalizing my son's adoption in May. I am curious what the Birth Certificate will look like when the new one is sent.
My duaghter's BC has my name on it now and that is it. Since her mom did not list a father, it only has my name. I'm single by the way.
But my son's mom and dad were both involved in the adoption and his name is listed. When the new one is sent, will it have my name and his name on it or just my name? I ask for a reason...I'm going overseas with the military....if his name is on it, he will need to sign more legal paperwork...which he doens't have a problem with...i'm just curious.
Please no bashing.....and if anyone knows how to get the original birth certificates, I'd really love to know. I have hit dead ends trying to get my daughter's original.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Adoption

• No, it will only have your name on it since you are a single parent. By both of the child's parents giving him for adoption, they take both parent's names off of the BC.
    Anonymous

• As the adoptive parent, you will not be able to have access to your daughters Original Birth Certificate.

That document represents the legal definition of the original family and those participants (the birth parents and adoptee) alone. Even though under the law you are now recognized as the only parent to your daughter, it does not give you rights to the original document as you were not one of those participants.

The laws seal the orginal birth certificate from all triad members (in most states). Some states have looser laws (for example here in WA I can receive a copy of my daughter's OBC as I am her birth mother) but most refuse to release the OBC to anyone.

It doesn't feel good does it? Even in open adoptions - where all parties know one another - OBCs are not able to be released. These laws are unnecessary and especially in the era of open adoption are cruel and demeaning. Help us change these laws!!!!
    PortAngeles1969

Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 1:53 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• The birth parents won't be on the birth certificate issued after the adoption.

I adopted my youngest from another country as a single parent. I have her original bc as well as the one from there listing me as her mother. Because it is very difficult to get a bc in her country of origin, and I am afraid it will get lost if I let it out of my sight, I am doing a recognition of a foreign decree which will allow me to get a bc here in the US, it will list me as her mother and the original city/country of birth.

As far as getting a first bc, it depends on where you adopt from and the situation at the time. My older kids, domestic, were teens and had copies of their bc as well as passports. If you are struggling to get an original with the birth parents names, you may want to ask the birth parents to get a copy for you for your records so your daughter will have it later if she wants it. They are harder to get later down the road.
    7babies4me

Answer by 7babies4me at 5:20 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• call vital satictes in your state and order it paid over the phone don't tell them you are the adoptive mom but do it before you adopt
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:40 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I'm adopted and my adoptive parents are the only ones listed on my cert. Half of the info was wrong, though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• Please do not listen to , ANON2:40, they are being disrespectful, and at the ver least deceitful. You cannot order an OBC, before you adopt, this borders of being a lunitic. Sorry if this offends the anon, but at least should embarrass them. Contact your state and find out what is needed in order to receive the OBC, again Port is one to listen to on this. I have doubts that you can get the original...but maybe since you are in an OA, the firstmom, can order this..Good Luck, and Blessings for a safe trip overseas...C.J.
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 12:47 PM on Apr. 8, 2009