Sick of Sore Nipples!

My baby is now 9 weeks old and it is still super painful to nurse her. She has even spit up blood a few times! We have seen LC's and doctor, had xrays and blood tests and everyone says everything is fine. We have tried just about everything and nothing is helping. I am starting to think it is never going to get better. She doesn't get upset while nursing, is gaining lots of weight and is a happy baby. That is the only thing that keeps me going, but today I am so over it.

Did anyone else experience this? How long did your sore nipples last?

LilysMommy13009

Asked by LilysMommy13009 at 12:50 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's the reason I never breast fed. Not worth being in pain all the time. Wait tell she starts biting after she gets teeth. That's sounds fun doesn't it.

Answer by louise2 at 1:00 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Have you tried Lanolin ointment?? It helped me. you can implement a formula feeding or two so you're not constantly nursing with sore nipples. But it you keep nursing with them like that they can't heal. Or you can try the old remedy and put used tea bags on them for a few minutes to help them heal. good luck either way.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I couldn't get over it either. I couldn't make it past 6 weeks becuase of the pain. The sad part is, one side was fine, just the left hurt but it was agony! I wish I had at least just feed off the one side and keep going a little longer but I was afraid I'd mess something up by just ignorning the other side.
    Anonymous

• If your nipples are sore and damaged then everything is NOT fine, no matter how many LC's and doctors tell you that it is. The latch is good if baby is getting enough ilk, and mom is not in pain. If you are in pain, then the latch is not good. Has thrush been ruled out? If you and/or baby had antibiotics there is a good chance you have thrush. Have you contacted a La Leche League Leader? At llli.org you can find a local leader, or fill out an on-line help form. Check out http://www.llli.org/FAQ/sore.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Something isn't right with her latch. It's not going to get better until it's corrected. Maybe she has her tounge in the wrong place? Possibly tounge tied? Not taking enough nipple in? Thrush? Something that they aren't seeing from the outside with her latch.
    When I had the same problem with my son at 6 weeks it was still awful to feed him... and I just started taking him off everytime it hurt. It took forever and he would get mad but it was that or quit. After 3 days he had corrected his latch and it's been fine ever since.
    Look online about Asymetrical latch... it's what helped me fix his latch... maybe it will help you too.
    Good luck!
    (Oh and don't worry about teeth like the pp said... bites don't happen that often)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:17 PM on Apr. 4, 2009