has anyone ever used the "your baby can read" program? if so, is it worth the money?

r_elizabeth2290

Asked by r_elizabeth2290 at 12:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Save you money. Read to your child several times a day, some longer books with stories, some short ones with only a few words on each page. Let your child play with books and "read" on his or her own. Keep the TV off. Buy your toddler a set of letters and numbers for the fridge and for the bath. Watch Sesame Street with your two year-old a couple of times a week. He or she will do fine...
    Anonymous

• Yeah, the premise of that program is that kids should start learning to read before age 5. So start teaching your child before age 5! Their program is not the only way to do it!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:01 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• This is asked all the time. Do a search here and you'll find at least one question a week.

And NO it is not worth it. It simply teaches a child to memorize what word comes next in the video and to memorize what certain words look like. At best, it's a waste of money. At worst, it will damage their ability to learn to read properly later.

I've seen studies that show that kids to learn to "sight read" before they learn phonics fall behind kids who learned phonics first and never catch up. Don't damage your child's chances in school before he's even turned one. Skip this program.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:26 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• how do you girls know it doesn't work? Have you used it yourself? I was given the program as a gift and my baby is 4 months old and loves it! It come with books, word cards, and DVDs. They also use phonics too. I don't think it's a waste at all. Oh and the gift came from a teacher
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 4:56 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• im using it and the second night after my son read tiger and mouth, but after i got excited about it he started playing around so i just keep with it no pressure and make it fun, i dont think you need this particular program to get the same results from making your own cue cards or reading from a book or hand making flash cards or something like that. it all depends on you and what you know you are capable of, my in laws bought it for me other wise i probably wouldnt have spent the money but if you can afford it, yeah it think it would be worth it
    emleejane

Answer by emleejane at 5:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• my son has been watching it since he was 3 months old. Let me tell you. My son is only 8months old and can make most of the sounds when he sees the words. Hes waving bye bye for like 2 months already. I think it was worth it. There are 6 books, 5 dvds, 7 packs of flash cards. If you have 215.00 it's worth it!
    NickysMomma888

Answer by NickysMomma888 at 7:09 PM on Apr. 4, 2009