Health Insurance for low income families in California? I have no idea where to look!

My son and I currently live in Illinois and are on the Illinois Health Connect plan (insurance for low-income families) later this year my son and I are going to be moving to California (Twentynine Palms) with my SO (not married) and I would like to figure out what to do about health care for my son and possibly myself. I am trying to google search and I am coming up with a lot of junk.

Can any moms in Cali help me out? I need to know if we'll even be eligible since we haven't been living there for a certain period of time. What websites, phone numbers, etc should I be looking for? If there is anything else I need to know please help. I am soo lost!

alinker

Asked by alinker at 1:08 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Kids' Health

• It would probably be Medi-cal:
    http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/medi-cal/Pages/default.aspx

There is also Healthy Families for the kids only if you don't qualify for Medi-Cal:
    http://www.healthyfamilies.ca.gov/Home/default.aspx

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• go to anywho.com and look up the number for the courthouse. you need to get in touch with DHS and they can help you out.
    simplysmiles13

Answer by simplysmiles13 at 2:48 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• it's called Medi Cal. why are you shacking up with this guy? if he's a keeper, marry him. if not, go live near your family. if he marries you, he can add you AND your son to whatever insurance he is eligible for at work. do you have family? parents, grandparents.. in 29 palms, or nearby? if you move across the country for/with this guy, but don't know someone on the other end, where will you turn for help, support, companionship and advice? you are, by the way, teaching your son that he doesn't need to make a commitment to a woman he loves. YOU are teaching him how to treat women. sorry, more advice than you asked for! good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 7:09 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• vickiathome: WOW!! Who are you to tell someone else how to live their life? Some people don't believe in marriage but are just as committed to each other and their family. She is not teaching her son to not make a committment to the woman he loves, you can love someone and be committed without being married.

OP: You do what you feel is right for your family and don't worry about what others think and feel. I know people who have been committed to each other for over 20 years and are not married. They are more committed to those that are married.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:34 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Actually Vikiathome.. the plan IS to get married. We want to wait a year or so. He's not my baby's father but has been there since I was 4 months pregnant. If anything I am teaching my son to make a commitment to a woman he loves no matter what kind of "baggage" she has and accepting it. My boyfriend has no obligation to stay with me yet he does. He was there throughout the pregnancy, was there helping me push when I gave birth, and being there for me and my son afterwards. We have not quite been together a year so yeah I think waiting would be the better choice... I'm not sure what happened to you to make you such a negative person but please get some help to get that stick out of your butt
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 9:54 PM on Apr. 4, 2009