At what child's age would it be okay for a mom to leave on a business trip for 3 weeks? Is 18 months too young?

I have to leave on a trip for 3 weeks in July. My son will be 18 months then. Is he too young to leave for that long? My husband and relatives will be with him the whole time. What questions should I ask myself to help me decide to put my foot down and say no to my boss.

Howiesmommy

Asked by Howiesmommy at 1:18 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wow...3 weeks is a long time to be gone! I'm sure your son will be fine since daddy and others will be there, but how will YOU cope?!?! I'm leaving at the end of May for a week cruise and my parents are going to watch my kids. I'm going to miss them like crazy and I'm already worried about leaving them!
    liltymesmom

Answer by liltymesmom at 1:28 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I think you got it right: How am "I" going to cope! He's my only child.
    Anonymous

• He's not too young, and he's not left "alone." I agree with the above... it will be hard for you. You have to decide what's right for you. It definitely wouldn't make you a bad mom or anything, but it may make you *feel* like one.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• He's not too young. I went on a week long cruise when my dd was just over 1. She stayed with grandma and was fine. Keep pictures around so he can see you and all that. You'll be hurting more than him, I'm sure. :) Just be warned, when you get back, he may be really clingy!
    Anonymous

• Wow, im jealous of all of the moms who got to go on one week cruises lol. But honeslty, i dont think he is too young, just plan a day out with you and your LO before you go and after you come back. My husband and i plan on taking a 2 week trip overseas at the end of the year(business related) So i will be in the same situation you are in soon. GOOD LUCK!
    Anonymous

• I barely could leave him overnight at 13 mos (my DH kept him while I went to a Ladies Retreat 20 mins away), we took him on vacation for a week with us at 19 mos, but 3 weeks...no way could I do it. It takes 3 weeks to make or break a habit. He will definitely be in a routine w/o your involvement, and you might find it hard to "slip back into".

But depending on your job, couldn't you take him with you, and maybe a grandma or someone to watch him during the day in the hotel? Just a thought. I know with today's economy that you don't want to jeopardize your job, but life is all about choices. Good luck with yours!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 3:48 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• you do what you gotta do, but i dont think i could ever at any age leave for that long
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:53 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Would your husband hesitate if HE had to leave on a business trip for 3 weeks?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:33 PM on Apr. 4, 2009