My 8 1/2 month old still gets cradle cap. Is this normal?

I don't know what to do. Should I take him to the doctor and get him some medicine or is there some over the counter stuff that I can use? He has a TON of hair and I'm not sure if that's contributing to it. I wash his hair every other day. Please give me some suggestions. Any would be appreciated.

a_and_j_momma

Asked by a_and_j_momma at 1:58 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yeah my ped. said to use dandruff shampoo.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:09 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Our daughter gets it still at 7 months. My friend is a pediatrician and she said the prescribed stuff is fine, but using baby oil and lifting it off with a toothbrush is just as effective. We do this ever 4 or 5 days and it's under control. Maybe that would be hard if he has tons of hair, though. I did read somewhere that since it's similar to dandruff, dandruff shampoo works... and you don't need a prescription for that.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:03 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My ped. told me to buy selsen (sp) blue and use it once a week. It cleared it up.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 2:30 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I had tons of curls as a baby, and my grandmother always used baby oil and a fine tooth comb. she was very gentle and even when I grew up, I loved her combing my hair
    torismom14

Answer by torismom14 at 11:23 PM on Apr. 4, 2009