Do you know your child's blood type?

My blood type is on my shot records from birth. I have asked from day 1 to know what type of blood my DD has but apparently they don't test for it anymore?

Do you know your childrens? And if not, why is this not important any more?

Xynyth

Asked by Xynyth at 2:03 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• A great discussion question! Yes I know the blood types of all my children, inlaws, siblings and parents. Why is this important to me? If something were to happen I would want to take the quickest way I know to getting them the proper blood type in an emergency.

Ladies with negative blood can have complications in pregnancy if the baby carries the positive blood type.

I have a son who got a rare disease when he was three and it was important to know what blood type he was to have a white blood cell transfusion. This is helpful when someone is ill and you can help by knowing your type.

If for no other reason for me it is peace of mine. All of my sons have the same type as I do. My daughter has completely different type.

If you want to know then have your doctor give your child the test. If insurence does not cover it then find a way to get it cheaper or just pay for it if it would give you peace of mind.
    LegacyKimberley

Answer by LegacyKimberley at 1:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• MY BABYS IS B+ I THINK I DUNNO I THINK IT SHOULD BE IMPORTANT BUT WHO KNOWS
    chukuku

Answer by chukuku at 2:15 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My husband I and I had this discussion the other day. I think our son is b+. I know that it is in his records because I asked at birth to know what it was. I am 0 negative and my husband is b, or AB i'm not for sure. But I know that my son and I are different on the negative, positive factor. I don't think it is so important anymore because of technology and they can figure it out so quickly. Also if they need blood right away they are given 0 negative the universal donor. I think technology has helped out a lot in not needing these things. Good question, I will be calling on Monday to make sure he is B+.
    simplysmiles13

Answer by simplysmiles13 at 2:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• They told me in the hospital after I gave birth with both. One being 3 weeks ago. Hmmm... I wonder why they didn't test it for you? I would think it was essential to know your child's blood type.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 2:21 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• They told me his blood type, but at his first ped appointment I think. I only remember because it is the complete opposite of mine and because of how it is when you sound it out "Be positive" lol.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 2:26 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I think all of mine are A+ but I'm not 100% sure. Our hospital sells these identity kits you can buy for $5. You take them to your regular doctor and they will poke your childs finger for blood and put it on this card. It's good for something like 14 years so if something ever happens to your kids...you already have their blood sample. (you keep it at home in a safe or whatever)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:30 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• The summer my son was five he got snake bit, the dr's thought he might have had to have his lower leg cut off. Thankfully he healed and is fine, he's 24 now. But that was when my ex and I found out that the three of us were all A+. With both of us being that there wasn't any chance that my DD could be anything else, but we had her checked anyway. It's funny now that my stepboys and the new, upgraded DH are also A+.
    I agree with whoever said with the new technologies that they don't need to know ahead of time since it doesn't take long to check them. I was in school to be a surgical tech when I met my DH, dropped out of school and moved to a different state.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 5:16 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• In NY they told me my son's blood type at birth but here in Fl. I still don't know my daughters.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 5:34 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I know all my kids blood type as I am O- and their dad is O+
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 6:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Hmm, I'm in FL too. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. It seems important to me. I have a card with her DNA in it but not her blood type. I asked through her whole first year of life why and when they would test for it and they never had an answer for me. I mean god forbid she's ever in an accident and needs a transfusion or something and her own mother doesn't even know her blood type.

Thanks for the replies :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 6:25 PM on Apr. 4, 2009