how high do i hang pendant lighting?

i am putting pendant lighting over my dining room table as well as over my kitchen counter top (cooktop drops down a bit on other side of counter and you cant see it unless you are standing/sitting a the counter). the counter has an overhang of about 12 inches where i will put barstools. both areas are in view when you enter my house. so my question is, should i hang the pendants over my dining room table and the countertop at he same height so they look balanced? or does it even matter? should i even be concerened that will look "unbalanced" or should i just go with the 30"-40" above counter top/dining table rule?

ericadrian

Asked by ericadrian at 2:50 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Home & Garden

• It doesn't matter if they are the same height. The ones over the table can go lower since it is much less likely people will bump them while using the table. The ones of the counter need to be high enough to not interfere with people sitting at or standing at the counter and doing kitchen work. Other than that, they can be whatever height looks good to you.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:52 PM on Apr. 4, 2009