how do i get my almost 2 yr. old to talk?

he is goign to be 2 on the 17th and just will not say much at all. I feel he is behind but the peds is not concerned at this point. but when i say he don't say much I mean like 10 words and only if he feels like it. help!

rayraysmom

Asked by rayraysmom at 2:57 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• look for a developmental ped in you area to take him to to get him checked over
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:00 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Make sure you are talking to him all the time.

Oh...do you want to put on your shoes...your shoes go on your feet...you have toes on your feet...are your feet ticklish...

I have a running dialog all day, everyday.

With my first baby I was really self conscious about talking to him...I thought I sounded dumb. But now it is just second nature. My second and third babies were much better talkers than my first.

Now when my nephew wasn't talking by age 3 1/2 they brought him in to a speech therapist and he is talking up a storm now.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:05 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• don't respond when he points and grunts. if he wants more, encourage him to use the word more. up. down. milk... "use your words" also, while reading, constantly ask "what is this" and ask him "what does a dog say" and things like that. encourage EVERY speaking opportunity. it seems to come naturally, but you have to encourage him to speak properly and often. good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 6:01 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I have the same problem with my little one. He just refuses to talk. He can only say about 15 words and he will be 2 in May.

joleensboys

Answer by joleensboys at 6:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• my daughter is almost 3 1/2 she had the same problem. and her doctor kept saying not an issue i finally demanded a referal to see a speech therapist. and now she is in speech therapy. most cities have a head start program, that is free or covered by your insurance. look that up and ask for an apointment and they will send people to your home to evaluate your son (the evaluation should be free) if they determine that he needs help then you go from there. that is who my daughter goes through our local head start program
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:44 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• i've worked in childcare centers, and to encourage a child to speak i would simply wait until snack time and have them request by saying the name of the snack. like if i had apples, i would ask "what would you like?" and if they said "apple" i would give it to them, if they didn't say anything then i wouldn't give them the apple.
    charmbracelet84

Answer by charmbracelet84 at 6:52 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• u might wanna find another ped b/c mine noticed a speech delay by about a year and a half old (if i remember right). now my daughter has just turned 3 and has been going to speech therapy 2 times a week for quite some time. search the web for info on how many words they should be saying according to age.
    snoober_k

Answer by snoober_k at 11:55 AM on Apr. 6, 2009