What is the proper way to store potatoes?

I thought I posted this question earlier but I can't find it. Either it got deleted or I am losing my mind (I am severely sleep deprived from staying up with a sick baby). Whenever I buy potatoes it seems like they go bad really quick and I was just wondering how to store them so they last longer. Thanks

momof2girlz33

Asked by momof2girlz33 at 2:58 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Food & Drink

• cool dark place. NOT the fridge. If you buy them with "eyes" budding, the spud and plant has not been sprayed with icky chemicals. Of course, it will spoil faster. The eyes just flick off anyway, but most people buy on how "nice" food looks, and they'll choose to ingest the chemical instead. haha. If you have 1 single one spoiling, get rid of it quickly. The natural chemicals (oxygen/nitrogen/etc) that will come from it will spoil the rest....you know, you've heard that old "one bad apple spoils the whole bunch" thing...it's true. If you can buy only what you'll need for a week or 2, all the better.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 3:04 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I know people say not in the fridge, but, that's where I store mine. They last so so so much longer and taste the same. Everytime I have stored them in the pantry or a dark place, they go bad much faster. So I have no problem saying the refridgerator.
    joannakitler

Answer by joannakitler at 3:15 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• ur not supposed to store them in the fridge- dont know why but ive always heard that ur not- but anyways- if u buy them in the big plastic bag take them out the moment u get home- dont wash until ready to use because theyll spoil faster and if having a big bunch of potatoes laying around is annoying for u (which it is for me) take them and place them into a pillowcase and then store them in a cabinet or on the back porch somewhere cool and dark and like the pp said- take out any rotten ones
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 3:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I put them in my fridge and they last way longer. Taste just as good too.
    Anonymous

• I just leave them in the bag they came in and put them in the pantry. Usually they will last a week or two, sometimes more. But we got 2 bad batches of potatoes at Costco and are now leery of buying there. The first bag we had for a week, cooked 7 potatoes for dinner and when we cut them open they were all covered in these little brown spots on the inside. We decided to go with yellow potatoes this last time.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:06 PM on Apr. 4, 2009