It Seems Like I Have To Threating My Child With Things She Wants To Get Her To Listen In Public Am I Doing A Bad Thing?

For Example If Were Going To The Park That Day & She Is Acting Up I Will Say Your Not Going To The Park Today If You Dont Listen After That She Listens Am I In The Wrong?

babyjizmalife

Asked by babyjizmalife at 3:06 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 6 (-66 Credits)
  • Of course you'll have to do this from time to time... but what you want to strive for is getting her to listen because you're her mother, not because you have the power over things she wants. Try to talk to her about what she's expected to do before you go out in public. Then when she does them, commend her for doing what she is supposed to, but don't offer a reward. Rewards and punishments should both be used in moderation. Try instead to pull her aside and get her to look you in the eye. Tell her what you want her to do, and make her repeat it back to you. Thank her for listening, but don't make a big deal. Be really consistent with this.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:49 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Story of my life. I agree with ES, get down to thier level and have the kiddo repeat what you said so they understand and offer reward when its only necessary. Its beginning to work with my kiddo. Also give the child some choices. Like at the market, chose which of the two isles to go down and which of the two cans of vegetables to buy, etc.

Good Luck!
    kara.taylor

Answer by kara.taylor at 6:09 PM on Apr. 7, 2009