when do most babies sleep at least 5 hours?

My 10 month old still wants to wake up about every hour or hour in a half. She is breastfed and I've tried every thing to try to get her to sleep longer so now I have just given up on trying, and just kind of expect her to eventually sleep longer. I was wondering when do most babies start sleeping longer or at least 5 hours or even 3 for that matter? Do you think that when I stop breastfeeding it will help? Because I'm stopping when she turns a year old. So if anyone knows anything I would like to know, thanks.

annamichelle608

Asked by annamichelle608 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son, now 2, started sleeping thru the night at three months. I was breastfeedigng him and he was up all the time, never ever slept, then I started him on formula, I hated to do it, but then before I knew it he was sleeping almost all night. I think he was just always hungry and I was not producing enough milk. He was 11 lbs when he was born.
    mydreamowen

Answer by mydreamowen at 3:14 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• un fortunatly there is no norm standard, i konw people whose baby slep all night at 3 mo, and others whose toddlers still dont
    good luck
    go take a nap :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:15 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Gosh it can be so different for each child, even within the same family.

When the child isnt needing as much then you will probably get some extra sleep. Might be 6 mths or so though depending on if you do solids or just stick with breastfeeding,etc.

My kiddos were all sleeping through the night by 2 mths but Ive known 2 yr olds who didnt sleep for long spurts.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 3:18 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Do you go in the moment you hear her? If you don't, does she cry or does she just make sounds? One mistake a lot of moms make is responding too quickly when a baby is just naturally coming out of a sleep cycle, denying the baby the chance to go back to sleep on her own. That said, at 10 months, she's likely a trained night feeder. There will be lots of moms who will tell you that if she's waking up then she needs milk then. I personally don't agree... she's used to having milk then and that's why she wants it, but she doesn't need it. I guess she will eventually lengthen her stretches on her own, but it could take a long time. Make sure you're not nursing her to sleep at the start of the night; if she learns to put herself to sleep at the start of the night, she'll be well on her way to being able to put herself to sleep if she wakes up later. Get rid of one feeding at a time. Do it for your sleep and her teeth!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:18 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Most sleep 5 hours in row by about 6 months. Breastfeeding will NOT change anything despite what many think. She doesn't need the food that often, she's just used to it. I knew plenty of moms who breastfed who's babies were sleeping ALL night by 4 months old. And plenty of formula fed babies who woke 3 to 4 times all night until they were a year. Breastfed babies do NOT wake more often for feedings. That's an old wives tale.

I agree wtih PPs - when she starts to cry, leave her for a couple of minutes. Literally, look at a clock and wait 2 minutes. You'll find they are the longest 2 minutes of your life but it gives her a chance to fuss and resettle.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:35 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• first off...when she starts fussing wait a few minutes before going in, she might fall back asleep. does she want to nurse every time she wakes up? try pumping and mix a lil rice cereal with the milk in the bottle.
    my son slept 5-7 hours a night starting at 3 weeks old.
    Anonymous