Has any one had this problem with their Child?

My daughter is four and still doesn't talk. She does say a few words but not a lot. I have applied for a speech therapy school but haven't heard yet. She is a very healthy child she just doesn't talk, and she isn't deaf. Has any one else had this problem?

mika0216

Asked by mika0216 at 3:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Mom: My dd is 3.5 and has a very limited vocabulary. We are fairly sure (without testing) that she has PDD-NOS Pervasive Developmental Delays Not otherwise Specified. Or basically mild autism. from how I understand it.

she is BRILLIANT though, like you said about your dd. Mine is starting to read! LOL

Message me and we can talk about our dds, they sound similar in many ways.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• has the ped not said any thing??????
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 3:37 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• No they haven't said anything, they have just said to work with her and I do. They say she is stubborn. That why I'm trying to get her that school.

mika0216

Answer by mika0216 at 3:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I used to watch a child like this at my daycare. I said something to her mother several times, but the mother just brushed it off, and said that the doctor said that she was right on track. She was three, and only said mama and dada, I was really worried about it. I continued to talk to the mom, she finally got irritated with me bringing it up, and pulled her child out of my daycare. 3 months later she called and told me that her daughter was autistic and appologized for getting upset with me. I feel horrible about the situation, but I get worried when a 3 year old doesn't say at least 3 word sentences, and know their alphabet, and things like that. I would take the child to a specialist, and get her checked out. Good Luck.
    Anonymous

• My girlfriends son was that way. Like you she was very concerned. She took him to doctors had his hearing checked and they all said he just ins't ready. He finally started talking around 4 1/2 and now you can't shut him up.
    Familytyme

Answer by Familytyme at 3:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• That's what my Ped says is that she isn't ready yet and my mother thinks she's autistic but she sooo smart And i mean she does 7-8 year old puzzles and 1-2 minutes and she does every thing else that a 4 year old should and then on some things she is head of 4 year olds but just doesn't talk. I'm hoping that one day I'm goin to get up and she is just goin to surprise every one and start raddling off.
    mika0216

Answer by mika0216 at 3:48 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Speech therapy should not have waited this long. Sorry...but that's how I feel.

My oldest son has an IQ of 130. He has PDD-NOS and ADHD. He is on the autism spectrum. His speech is that of a young adult, he started speaking this way at 18 months. He has SPD and was just recently declassified by the school district as a "special needs" child since he went from a SEVERE fine motor skill delay to age appropriate in 2 years (he's 5).

My 3 year old has the intelligence of a 5.4 year old. He will be diagnosed later this month, with either PDD-NOS or Asperger's (both have been suggested). He is in speech therapy for a moderate delay in articulation and OT for a moderate delay in fine motor skills. He also has SPD.

We didn't have a clue about ASD and our boys until we started evals for their delays....because they were "so smart". High intelligence can be one of the signs.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Do not think that just because she is advanced with other things that she is not Autsitic. There is actually a spectrum of disroders that have similar symptoms, but are just a little bit different. It sounds like Aspergers Disorder may be possible. Children with Aspergers are generally more intelligent then other kids, they just don't know how to express with words what they know. I went through all this with my son. We finally got a dx of PDD-NOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder- No Other Symptoms). Speech therapy will help, but there may be other therapies and things that will be helpful as well. I would recommend at least a visit with a neuro-psychologist or developmental peds doc just to be sure that there isn't a problem. The tests are harmless. They won't hurt her and may actually end up helping her.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 5:48 PM on Apr. 4, 2009