What calms down a screaming one year old?

My DS has been having these screaming fits that last like 45 minutes until he either falls asleep or just quits. He's not hungry or wet or tired when he does this. It happens about once a day. Any ideas please?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:11 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would like to know the same thing. My son is also one but all he does is screams all day unless I pick him up, I am tearing my hair out lol
    Blondielicious

Answer by Blondielicious at 4:16 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Let him scream it out. Ignore him and put him in a safe place and don't feed into it. ITs a battle of wills for him to get what he wants. Is he doing it at nap time or bed time or when he gets told no for something? All kids get into that stage its just a matter of ignoring it until he learns what the boundaries are. Good luck and just stick it out, he will learn to stop once he sees' your not upset by it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 4:17 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• If he falls asleep at the end of it I'd place my bets on him being tired :-)

One year olds tend to have fits like this more often when they are hungry or tired (because they will get frustrated, upset, mad etc. more easily when they are hungry/tired) and they don't have the verbal skills yet to communicate. It can happen when they are rested and fed as well. Try to figure out what is triggering them. If he is throwing a fit because he wants something and you said NO, stick with your answer, DO NOT give him his way or he will learn that throwing a fit works! YOu can say "I see that you are mad, but the answer is still no."
    You can try and give him words for what you think he is feeling "I'll bet you are mad that your blocks just fell over, you were working so hard on that!"
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• That reminds me of the funny home videos clip.

The mother is taking a video of her child screaming and throwing himself on the floor, its bad. Then she walks to another room. The child instantly stops, walks over to where the mom can see him again and starts screaming and throwing himself on the floor again. its hilarious.

Or like Andy Griffith when Opie gets the idea to throw a fit, and Andy says "whatcha doing,?" Opie says "havin a fit" Andy says "oh,ok, well dont get your cloths too dirty." and keeps on with his paperwork.

In other words I say as long as they are not hurting themselves badly, let them have at it. He is at the age right now where he is starting to see just how much you are going to let him do. So stand your ground now. When he finally calms down, then you show love and affection so he understands that when he is calm he gets your attention.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:23 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• its all a show and kids are constantly testing you so you need to be careful, they get a reaction from you when they scream like that. maybe its an attention thing, i would tell my child ill come back when you stop screaming im not going to listen to this, this is not the right way to get my attention and ill say after that ill come back to talk to you when your done and more than half the time it works and they calm down and sometimes they just need to cry. as long as you know everything is fine then just let them go at it. remember you are always being tested, pass their test and they will repsect you more and listen better, kids like boundaries.
    emleejane

Answer by emleejane at 4:54 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• beat him
    Anonymous