Have you ever called poison control? If so, for what? How many times have you called them? repost from late last night...just wanted some more stories.

I called them yesterday. My dd found a bottle of ibuprofen and somehow got the top off and drank some. She is fine, she only got about an ounce and the representative said she would have to drink a lot more than that to be of concern.

I started worrying that I have called too much (3times, none serious) and they would like report me to DHR or something.

Do you know anything about their procedures?

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 4:18 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Not myself but but husband did. This was with our first son and I was still working and he was laid off. He was changing my son diapers and my son was holding a tube of Desitin and he got some in his mouth. My hubby panicked and shoved a wipe in his mouth to get it out then called poison control and then me at work. it was too funny.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 4:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• ive called quite a few times and only one time was very serious..every other time was better safe than sorry...i have yet to be reported. my daughter got ahold of a haldol pill(that was the serious time..she spent 3 days in the hospital) other times it was, my kid ate soap or cleaner type stuff.. oh and one time my baby picked up a black widow and almost put it in her mouth but DH smacked it out of her hand...didnt realize what it was till after it was on the ground crawling again..
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:48 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• oh and my kid ate desitin too..lol
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:49 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I have called lots of times. My son put gun cleaner in his mouth. One kid drank Orange cleaner. One put tea tree oil in water and tried a taste. None were serious though and have never been reported.
    Anonymous

• i have never personally called but my gf has called about her kids at least 8 times that i know of. nothing serious (ate a few tums, drank a little cleaner when she left room kind of things) none of the times she called did anything actually happen or did the kids show side effects for anything. and she has never been reported (we actually just discussed this the other day because she felt she had to call when one took a bite out of a candle and she was freaking out b/c she has to give her name and address when she calls and didnt want the cops at the door picking up the kids!)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:18 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• my sister in law called them so many times when her kids were little they sent her christmas and birthday cards!!
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:39 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• this is really embarrassing...i was preg w my 1st kid & accidently sprayed flea & tick spray on myself & i called. Yea it was pretty stupid & i got laughed at by my fam too dumb, right? LOL
    jocemiah

Answer by jocemiah at 2:57 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I called when I found my daughter chewing on a mushroom she picked on our neighbor's lawn. They said 99% of mushrooms growing on a well manicured lawn are safe. That was nice to know. We also called to find out what would happen if our kids were bitten by a black widow spider. We had a problem with them when we lived in NC.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:39 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I've called twice now. I'm always afraid that they are keepin a record and will come and report me. My dd drank perfume once and some leave in conditioner. But haent called in almost a year. Thank God
    dreamy_snowball

Answer by dreamy_snowball at 1:06 AM on Apr. 7, 2009

• I called once. My DH gave my son Motrin. We misunderstood each other and I gave him a second dose 1 hour later. They said it wasn't enough to worry about.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:26 PM on Apr. 7, 2009