@nd question about letting 2 month old cry.

I wanted to clarify so I can get more helpful ansewers...I posted a question aboput weather or not its ok to let my 2 month old cry. I did not mean i'm trying to get her to go to sleep through the night or letting her Cry It out. I'm just wondering if its ok to finish what i'm doing. I am not even getting simple housework done. Can I make sure she is safe and not sick or in pain and let her cry for 5 min while I try to chop up vegetables or sweep the floor? The problem is not sleeping at all. When it comes to bed time she goes right to sleep. The problem is all day long she cries if I put her down. She is very happy if I am carrying her but if I put her down for a sec she begins to cry and cry and cry. She cant stop on her own. I have to pick her up. Isnt there something else I can do just so I can get simple tasks done? Is there a time max where it becomes neglectful?

kellycali

Asked by kellycali at 4:26 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's OK. Don't listen to other people. This is your baby and even letting her cry a bit isn't hurting her or child abuse and some so called perfect mothers would say.

Anonymous

• Letting her cry for 5 minutes is fine, its when you let a 2 month old cry for 20 minutes that is neglectful. I would continue what I am doing as long as she is not hurt or in pain. Is she gassy or something??
    Anonymous

• Anon, If she doesn't want to listen to other people then why is she asking? Oh, I get it, she should only listen to YOU!
    Letting a 2 month old cry can harm her. Crying means she is in distress, she needs to know that she will be "rescued". A few minutes is a long time for a 2 month old.
    You may need to reorder your priorities until she gets a little older. Let your house be a little dirtier for the next few months. Find what things you can do while holding her or wearing her in a front pack or sling. There may be some things that you can only do while she is down for her nap.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:37 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• maggie boo hoo .

crying

Anonymous

• I have 3 children and I dont think its bad at all to let her cry for 5-10 mins. Have you tried a passy yet or maybe a baby swing to keep her settled? Hang in there you will figure it out. Good luck!!
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 4:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• ignore miss high and mighty maggiemom.

if she is not sick or in pain, there is NOTHING wrong with letting her cry for a few minutes so you can accomplish things. maybe try a swing or bouncer and see if that helps. your a good mom, and never let anyone tell you otherwise!
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't. I just do chores when my little one is out for the night and he rarely naps during the day! When he does nap, I spend that time alone with my 3 year old. So the chores don't get done... oh well. Plus I stock up on microwave meals(mostly homemade) so that when DF isn't home, the 3 year old and I can eat! Then one of us cooks when we are both home! I also have my three year old who loves to talk to the little one which keeps him entertained. This is just how I feel, but it is your child and you know them best. I always take my little one with me to go potty! Good luck
    cutiepieusa879

Answer by cutiepieusa879 at 5:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Oh and you could have your SO watch the kid when he is home so you can clean if the child is ok with that. Just an idea.
    cutiepieusa879

Answer by cutiepieusa879 at 5:34 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• The sooner a child realizes that Mommy can put them down and she always comes to pick them back up the better, it develops a trust in a parent. I don't feel that letting them fuss for a couple min is bad. I think it's actually good, they need to know that you are not alwys at their beck and call. I wouldn't let it go on for more that 3 or 4 mins however. Try other things to keep her happy, a swing was my Godsend I got so much more done when I got that, oh, and a bouncy seat.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 5:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Five minutes is fine, but any more than that . . . I wouldn't and didn't do. They are only that tiny for a short time and before you know it, she will play happily on the floor while you do your chores. I never let my daughter cry. I rocked her to sleep every night and held her during every nap. She is now 9 months old, will only nap in her crib and let's me know when she is tired. She goes right to sleep and even plays in her crib after she wakes (I have a video monitor). She is so confident and I think part of it is that she knew I was always there, when she needed me. I am, of course, always here for her now when she needs me, but she doesn't need me as much now. I just think mama's should hold their babies . . . they are babies for such a SHORT TIME.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:22 PM on Apr. 4, 2009