Can you microwave styrofoam?

You know... the styrofoam containers that Chinese food sometimes comes in. Or coffee cups? Can you reheat in those? I'm worried that it'll melt and I'll be slowly poisoning myself if I do...

ack!

durga826

Asked by durga826 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Food & Drink

• ick...no.....bad bad bad...
    afeather

Answer by afeather at 1:22 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• no, they melt
    LRBsMommy

Answer by LRBsMommy at 3:29 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Here's the weird thing. Ramen ready to go or whatever it is called, is in a Styrofoam cup. Maybe you should look into that. My first thought was no until I thought about all those ramen meals I had at work, not even a year ago.
    NomadSara

Answer by NomadSara at 5:54 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• For a very short amount of time. We've used them for heating hotdogs. They will melt if they're in there too long though.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:30 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Depending on the type, you can, but I've heard it releases toxins that can get into your food. I don't ever do it. And for the Ramen Cup'o Noodle things, I always microwave the water in a mug to heat it then pour over the noodles.
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 7:01 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I've heard it causes cancer....but that could have been some silly internet/email hoax. I still won't microwave anything in styrofoam....
    sbailey

Answer by sbailey at 10:28 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• the only plates of styrofoam from anywhere that are really safe to use, are the hefty plates from sam's club.they hold up to anything!they are pricey though.
    karrey

Answer by karrey at 2:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Oh hell no. NEVER. Never buy, never use, but absolutly would NEVER heat and eat off styrofoam. That crap is just bad all around.
    TaLouLaBelle

Answer by TaLouLaBelle at 2:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2008