• In the Spotlight:

What could be wrong?

I can't let this go and say it's nothing b/c I feel it is.

Ok my son who turned 5 in December weighs about 57 pounds has been to the doctor about this and they found nothing! When he runs alot or to me it's not alot say like half the distance of a football feild. He just can't he gets half way and has to stop n walk the rest of the way b/c his chest hurts! He doesnt stop n come running n tell me but he put his little hand over his chest everytime then I know. If i ask him what makes his chest hurt he tells me when he runs??? We first noticed it a year ago while playing t ball with his team mates he just couldn't keep up with the rest of the kids his age n size?? They was able to run without anything stopping them! What could this be I'M SCARED! He will be starting school in Aug. and i dont want this to effect his play time or pe time ya know?He has had a ekg and heart ehco and they came back fine?I NEED ADVICE

Mybabies1N5

Asked by Mybabies1N5 at 4:44 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My son has exercised induced asthma...it's almost like someone is sitting on his chest when he has trouble. The tightness is difficult for him. Usually happens when he's running around, playing sports, and sometimes during the night. Get a 2nd opinion. If your insurance allows you to see a specialist with out a co-pay, I'd go see an Asthma & Allergy Specialist. When we lived in DC, my son's doc noticed he was wheezing at a check up, then we moved to NC. My son's doc here kept telling me it was nothing....even tho he had already been diagnosed when we lived in a different state 6 months before, but because he didn't hear the classic wheezing at that moment, he said it was nothing. I took it upon myself to go to a specialist, and the original diagnosis from our doc in DC was right...i also got a new pediatrician.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 5:11 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I say you keep going to a different Dr. till you get answer.
    Anonymous

• He could have exercise induced asthma.....those are the symptoms my son had. He does great now that he has an inhaler!
    my_three_sons

Answer by my_three_sons at 4:47 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Asthma was my first guess. My son sometimes does the same thing he is 5.5.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Have his heart checked by a specialist. I know a little girl who had similar symptoms and it was an undiagnosed heart problem. She had been to the doc many times and they couldn't find anything wrong. A simple EKG would have found the problem in minutes.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• cont...I was also going to say, like Nathskitten said, have his heart checked. Hopefully that's not what it is, but it could be...the symptoms are similar. Whatever the problem is, definitely go to a different doc, whether it's his heart or asthma, it's something to be looked into. Good luck.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 5:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• OOOPSS...I didn't mean *with out a co-pay*...I meant with out a referral.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 5:14 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Sounds like exercise induced asthma. I have it. you need to get to a different doctor and find out what is wrong. Asthma is not something to play around with.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:30 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• sounds like he is a lil overweight put him on a healthy diet and see about geting an asthma med prescribed
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 AM on Apr. 5, 2009