• In the Spotlight:

In response to police fathers being killed

It is very sad when a police officer (or anyone gets killed), especially of the person is a parent.

The gripe that I have is when I drive on base and see umpteen children, all belonging to the same military family when the costs of losing a parent in war is staggering. I thought the meaning of the idea of the military is to defend our nation (with the possibility of losing your - the soldier's- life), not to start a large family. I get perturbed when people join the military for the wrong reasons.
What is your opinion on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I am lost at your post. Are you trying to say that people in the military should not have the freedom to choose how large they want their family? Surely that is not what you are meaning?

How exactly are you sure they ALL belong to the same family or arent kids playing together?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:54 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Are you writing this from China?
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 5:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• mom2twobabes-

soldiers do give up certain rights when they enlist as compared to civilians. Besides, I believe that there is responsibility that needs to be taken in behalf of consequence of job selection in welfare of children. The military is not for babysitting adults.

And yes, I know many of these families personally. For a lot of the kids, I know who belongs to what family. I also hear it from the DA police (Department of the Army).
    Anonymous

• Oh boy i think you do not get what your even trying to get across which if you did maybe you could make us understand,i feel i'm trying to decode some really bad riddle,JMO
    Anonymous

• People do not join the military SO they can have a large family. BUT joining the military does not dictate who can have how many kids. You have no reason why anyone joined the military and the number of children they have does not imply their reasoning.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 5:37 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• So military people should not have kids since they are at risk to lose thier lives and leave the kids with out a prental upbringing ? that is the most stupid thing i have heard.
    Also,in todays world if this was the case we should all stop the world from going on,us civilians that is,since we could die just as easy from those people that shoot others in bank robberies or kill those in drunk driving accident so your point is rather insulting.
    They have a right to have children since without them the worild would not even go on for us to live,breath and become parents as well...get over it !
    Anonymous

• People in the army are fighting for everyone's freedom, including their own, One of those freedoms is that you can have as many children as choose. Give them the same right! They have given up a significant portion of their lives to face injury and death on behalf of our country, don't try and make them give up having a family, too.
    Anonymous

• So military people should not have kids since they are at risk to lose thier lives and leave the kids with out a parental upbringing ? that is the most stupid thing i have heard.
    They have a right to have children since without them the world would not even go on for us to live,breath and become parents as well...get over it !

*{GOOD POINT,KUDOS TO YOU }*
    Anonymous

• Now I am intrigued. OP, what do you suggest? That military men and women can't start families until they are discharged? Or should their families be limited to a certain number of children, depending on certain criteria? Like a private can have one, but higher ranks can have more depending on rank? Would you be willing to let the government tell you how many children you can have?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:57 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• That is unfair. At soldiers kids are taken care of should they die. People don't join the military to have lots of kids. My husband and I never agreed on an amount of children, so far we have 5 and he is on his 2nd deployment we love our kids and he knows that they will be well cared for should he die. And at least my kids will be able to be proud of their father.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2009