How will I know if my cat's wormer is working?

All of the sudden yesterday he started pooping blood and wasn't able to stand up all the way. I immediately called my vet and he said to try a wormer and if it doesn't seem to be helping to bring him in Monday.

I gave it to him, and he seems to be getting around a little better...but how will I know if it is working? Will he poop worms? There haven't been worms in his poop so far?

Kind of a gross question...I know...sorry.

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 5:22 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Pets

• I'm surprised he didn't ask you to bring in a sample to test for the worms first. It could have been something far worse. I've never heard of blood as a sign of worms. If he is fine, wait a week and bring a sample in to be tested for everything.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 5:28 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• He did say to bring in a sample on Monday. If it is worms, will he poop them out? I just wish I knew if the medicine was what was making him feel better? At least he seems to be on the med.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 5:30 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Not necessarily. If they are egg/larvae stage, you might not notice them.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 6:33 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• *mend* I meant...lol...not med.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:56 PM on Apr. 4, 2009