A shower while in labor

Do they allow you to take a shower at the hospital while in labor for pain relief? Or does this just kinda depend on your hospital? Did you? Im not getting the epidural, I cant anyway so I was just wondering if they let you take one or not and if it helped. Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It helps emensely!!! Any kind of water relief helps. I think it depends alot on wether you are needing continuous monitoring though or not, most hospitals dont have the water proof monitors, but make sure to ask, some will let you off for that type of pain relief.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 5:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Why can't you get an epidural? Just to let you know I think if you have a c-section if an emergency I believe you have to have an epidural but I could be wrong. I am not sure if you can take one I never asked I was in to much pain to ask lol, but I think you might be able to as long as your water hasn't broken
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:37 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Epidural's are different from the medicine they use in C-Sections lol. =]
    The Spinal is different from the Ep.
    Anonymous

• oh ok
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:41 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• It helps tremendously and it what I did with my first (didn't have time with second). It depends on the hospital and the doc/midwife. My midwife is very supportive of natural birth and the hospital just wanted a 20 minute strip before I could get in the shower and then the nurse came in about every 15 minutes with a heart monitor like they have in the docs office during your check ups.

You do not HAVE to have an epi for a c-section. My sister can't have an epi either (allergy) and the had 2 emergency c-sections in which they gave her something else, ,but I'm not sure what.

If you want a natural birth then wait as long as possible to go to the hospital though.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:52 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Okay thanks! I cant have a epi or a spinal so if I have to have a csection they will put me to sleep:( which sux but theres really not much I can do about it and I dont mind as long as I have a healthy baby boy when I wake up. I had back surgery a couple years ago due to a broken back and so I have metal in my back right where the epi . I dont want to risk anything else happening to my back and they said if I even where to try the epi its most likley not going to take. So the epi is outta the ?. aeneva how bad did your natural birth hurt? So I should take my bathing suit just in case they have to come in and check the heartbeat? I really really hope that they let me get in the shower. My doctors really have no faith that I can do this with no medication this is my first and them being that way kinda scares me but I really hope they let me get in the shower:)
    Anonymous

• Oh I plan on doing a natural birth also well thats the plan. My doula is very supportive and my hospital allows for showers to be taking there but I plan on just staying in the privacy of my home until its necessary to get me to the hospital so I will most likely take a shower here.=]=] Good luck with your delivery !!
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 6:41 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• they have no control over you. stay home as long as possible. you can get in and out of the shower as you please, you can get monitored IF and WHEN you want it. They work for you, not you for them. Shower nude, it's nothing they've never seen before. Be comfy :)

Get "birthing from within" it's an amazing book. Every pregnant women should read it. I would find a doctor who trusted a woman's body to birth naturally. Any doctor who didn't do that, would be out of my book, because they tend to make it a lot harder to birth naturally.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 6:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• the hospital I delivered all my kids at allowed it.... it depends on the place. it does help! alot!
    mommyof_2boyz

Answer by mommyof_2boyz at 2:58 AM on Apr. 5, 2009