adding rice cereal to formula??

when do you start adding rice cereal to baby's bottle?? my son is a month old and was thinking adding a little bit might help him sleep better... grunts all night long in his sleep... i cant sleep (he's in our room)

amys2boys

Asked by amys2boys at 5:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• NOOOOOO.
    Dangerous. He could choke and die.

NEVER pit cereal in your baby's bottle. And never give anything other than milk under 4 months - 6 months is when they can actually start eating, but under 4 months it is VERY dangerous.

Don't be lazy - you signed up to sleepless nights when you had your baby. Don't put his health at risk just to get more sleep.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• i've had friends do this becuase of acid reflux reasons around 1mo old and their babies did not choke & die
    amys2boys

Answer by amys2boys at 5:46 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My sister started doing it at around 1 month for her daughter's reflux and she is fine (over a year old now) . I never had a need to do it and didn't start cereal until about 4.5 months. I have heard that it doesn't help them sleep through the night though.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:50 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Take a look at this link- "5 reasons NOT to put cereal in your baby's bottle"

http://baby.families.com/blog/5-reasons-not-to-put-cereal-in-your-babys-bottle
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Omg the quacks are out again today! Op, plenty of pediatricians actually recommend putting cereal in the baby's bottle for certain reasons. Don't let the first person scare you..they obviously are a little overly dramatic. My son is 2months old and I put 2tsps of cereal in his night time bottle and he is less fussy. Before I could hear his stomach growling all night long. Start off just putting a tiny amount in.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 5:53 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• thanks. was also wandering how much to put in
    amys2boys

Answer by amys2boys at 5:54 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I started giving my son cereal at about 1 month old, he was a little piggy and would eat 24/7 otherwise. (He was over 10 pounds at birth).
    I did not mix it with his formula, however, the pediatrician said that in order to make it thin enough to fit through the nipple, it would not help anyway. He ate it right off of a spoon, it was a little messy at first, but we got the hang of it, and he was happier. It had to be really watery at first, but as the time progressed we could make it thicker. He is now a happy, healthy, almost 3 year old.
    I know I will probably get bashed for this post, but it is what we did. I did not do it so that I could get more sleep, he was still up 1/2 the night, but at least he got a little more full and was not wanting a bottle every 30 minutes.
    Best of luck, I would talk to your pediatrician at your next visit and see what he/she says.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 5:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I started putting 1 teaspoon rice ceral in my daughter's bottle at 3 weeks old. She was a premmie and was always hungry. She was drinking 6 ounce bottles every hour in a half at 3 weeks old and would scream for more after she was finished. I know it was hunger because she did not want her binky after eating. She LOVES her binky and the only time she spit it out was when she was hungry. Her peditrition told me to put 1 teaspoon rice ceral per four ounces. She told me to give her a a bottle with a stage three nipple as it was eaiser for the liquid to come out, or to buy her a baby food bottle that was only to be used at night with the ceral. The bottle is made for baby food and has a nipple with a wide whole. The bottom of the bottle comes off and you fill the base with the pre made food, then feed. Bottle is sold at babies r us. My daughter is now a healthy, happy 10 and a half month old who is 22.5 pounds, and 31. in long.
    McKennasmama08

Answer by McKennasmama08 at 6:11 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Unless under a doctor's guidance (usually for reflux) it's not recommended you put cereal in a baby's bottle. (nor is it recommended you give MILK to an infant of 4 months)

When they're closer to 4-6 months you give cereal with a spoon.

It generally does not help them sleep through the night. It will fill them temporarily but as soon as that is digested, they wake up hungrier than if they had that space taken up by formula (or breast milk) for the extra calories. Cereal has a LOT fewer calories.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:20 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• i did it because DD had refulx 1/2 tblspoon to start just keep an eye on her it helped with her sleeping the first few nights but then it quit.
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 7:17 PM on Apr. 4, 2009